HS2 - Cancel it now

People talking about £86bn-£100bn as if it’s money being taken out of the country rather spending on UK infrastructure and helping the economy.

Understand the sentiment ..... but we have queues at food banks , pensions being stolen to payoff interest on the National debt that the Tories have doubled.

Understand the sentiment ..... but we have queues at food banks , pensions being stolen to payoff interest on the National debt that the Tories have doubled.
Debt will always fucking increase whilst there is a deficit ffs. It (debt) would have trebled under Labour who weren’t remotely interested in reducing the deficit (and that’s fine, but don’t then try and use it as an idiotic stick to beat this government with).

<ding dong>
‘This is a national rail announcement,
The money train leaving London, bound for Birmingham and Manchester and all other stations north of Watford has been delayed for the 50th consecutive year due to investment bankers still needing to see more public subsidised Opera in the south east’

Even if completed, it will never take an hour from Manchester to London
The distance is roughly 200 miles and the maximum speed is a supposed 225mph
The train will be limited at the start and ends of the journey for example it wo t be travelling through Stockport station at 225 and by law it will have to stop there and to be anywhere near an hour, then that means it has to be direct and no stops
For how much distance will it be running at full tilt?
The route I've seen is a tunnel into Manchester no where near Stockport but as for time, I'm pretty sure it only knocks off about 20 mins on the London to Manchester journey time, though I do stand to be corrected... Hardly value for money.....

The route I've seen is a tunnel into Manchester no where near Stockport but as for time, I'm pretty sure it only knocks off about 20 mins on the London to Manchester journey time, though I do stand to be corrected... Hardly value for money.....
It's completely unnecessary and is causing huge amounts of disruption to large parts of the country that will see absolutely no benefit from it whatsoever.

The transport links into London are fine as they are. Not amazing, but perfectly adequate. Particularly as the trend of remote working is only going to speed up over the coming years.

It's the links between the rest of the country that are a disgrace and require urgent attention and funding. The pursuit of HS2 shows zero foresight and zero understanding of the future of work. No surprise then that it was David Cameron's idea.

<ding dong>
‘This is a national rail announcement,
The money train leaving London, bound for Birmingham and Manchester and all other stations north of Watford has been delayed for the 50th consecutive year due to investment bankers still needing to see more public subsidised Opera in the south east’

You've missed off the subsidies that are paid to the rich and wealthy to maintain their grouse moors

https://www.theguardian.com/environ...ng-estates-shored-up-by-millions-in-subsidies

How much of the HS2 case is based on spurious claims of wasted business hours? Much of that time could be put to productive use on laptops, tablets and phones.

And another thing. With the looming climate change crisis, we need to rethink how much charging around the country and continent is actually necessary. Particularly on business travel. Routine use of Zoom, Skype, conference calls and the like, combined with more remote working, would slash air/road/rail miles. Granted it can’t suit every type of work but it would make inroads.

I’m doing some work for a client at the mo. We’ve never met face to face. We e-meet on Zoom. I don’t need to join the lemmings travelling into London. Win win.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.