Harry Maguire

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm definitely not one for wanting Maguire for us either but we still need a centre half before the window shuts I feel. Of course Pep knows best but even he's admitted there could be an addition else he'll obviously have to go into season with what he has.
Don't get me wrong another defender would definitely make us stronger but unless they find that ideal one then keep it how it is.

Comfortable with Danilo at CB? If so, what are you basing this on; 30 minutes in a pre season friendly?

He's also played there on 2 other occasions in big games, including the 5-0 win over Europool. But that was in a back 3. So yeah, he also is definitely not cut out for it aside filling in temporarily.

Stones stepping up or not is irrelevant because this is a matter of having enough depth. Our 3rd and 4th choice as it stands are Otamendi and Fernandinho (makeshift) not good enough for a whole season.

Otamendi is far superior to Maquire. Fernandinho/Garcia are more than good enough to fill Kompany’s minutes.
Misty eyes aside, Kompany was a liability until the last month of the season. Stones needs to step up, be the leader Vinny was at the end of the season. Otamendi would start for every other side in the Prem. He was our best defender just 18 months ago.

Last edited:
Comfortable with Danilo at CB? If so, what are you basing this on; 30 minutes in a pre season friendly?

Played there when we belted Dippers and Schalke at home. Also basing it on his skillset - composed, comfortable on the ball, solid tackler.

Just my opinion but i do think we need another centre half (but i would rather it not be Maguire)

Ottomendi is mistake ridden - he had a late bloom in the season before last but before that he was prone to regular mistakes and isnt good enough with the ball. He makes very rash challenges all over the park and is very slow. He is a fantastic competitor but just isnt good enough.

Laporte has been outstanding so no issue there

John Stones - has mostly done well - but is he a leader -- he just doesnt appear to be but he could grow into that...His physical side of the game needs to be worked at as he is vulnerable and can get dominated..With the ball he is mostly excellent.

Therefore for me we have two first choice centre halves and a back up who just aint good enough.

We then get to players playing out of position (nothing wrong with that as Zinchenko has proved).

Ferna - fantastic player, good with the ball, reads the game well, good in the tackle and for a small guy is good in the air but he is coming to an end and Im just not sure about him playing there (epsecially if it was regularly due to a long term injury)

Walker/Danillo - just no - they will put 100% in and their pace (esp walker) is useful but they are far better fullbacks than centre half

Taylor HB - This kid looks the real deal but he is 17 (i think). I havent wathed the EDS but his pre season has been impressive...if he was a fullback you could maybe get away with playing him in some games but could we get away with playing someone so young in such a key position.

Its not just Kompany's ability on the pitch that we will miss but his leadership - i dont see another charachter int he squad that can replace that at present (maybe Ferna or KDB)

Overall i think going into the season with those options at centre half is a huge risk...one long term injury and it really is square pegs in round holes.....though again Pep (and zinchenko have proved that this can work to great affect....

Maybe a switch to 3 at the back regularly?

He's probably going to get the chance to start the season alongside Laporte with Otamendi coming back late. I'm hoping he can grab the opportunity with both hands and make himself undroppable.

He did that last season, the two of them looked class. Injury & drop in confidence seem to badly effect Stones.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.