Iniesta Vs Zidane

There's a football writer out there that 'outs' Zidane as a myth - a few highlights dotted around some inconsistency during his career. - the pretty poor trophy return for Real is a bit of a testament to that. 'Myth' is over the top, but I think Zidane benefited from being one of the first to be on looped highlight reels.

Iniesta was at the very top for the best part of a decade, won an unprecedented number of trophies and the goal/assist stats were probably very similar.

I'd go Iniesta I think

I was thinking about how Zidane would fare in the modern game and got wondering, who's the most the similar player to him these days? It'd make for a good reference point.

Stylistically I think Alli is a lot like him actually (although OBVIOUSLY nowhere near as good)

I was thinking about how Zidane would fare in the modern game and got wondering, who's the most the similar player to him these days? It'd make for a good reference point.

Stylistically I think Alli is a lot like him actually (although OBVIOUSLY nowhere near as good)

Why think about how he'd fare in the modern game? Not accusing you or anything, it's just something I never had interest thinking about.
Footballing periods are marked by great players, but players (in their mature form) are also a product of their time.
Zidane (who didn't retire that long ago tbf) would have probably played a little different, with a different focus on his assets, if he'd grown up in a different footballing period.
As for the Alli comparison, I probably haven't seen enough of him so I'll let others contest your post.

Why think about how he'd fare in the modern game? Not accusing you or anything, it's just something I never had interest thinking about.
Footballing periods are marked by great players, but players (in their mature form) are also a product of their time.
Zidane (who didn't retire that long ago tbf) would have probably played a little different, with a different focus on his assets, if he'd grown up in a different footballing period.
As for the Alli comparison, I probably haven't seen enough of him so I'll let others contest your post.
Honestly it's just curiosity for me.

If I could choose one player in their prime to watch every weekend for City it would be Zidane by a few lightyears. There was just something really compelling about watching him do the simplest of things. I could understand why people would pick Iniesta given the amount of titles he won but I never got into football for the trophies.

There's a weird obsession over the last few years with downplaying Zidane as a player. I don't know if that's because young lads want to believe that whatever is current is better but Pogba comparisons are absolutely fucking hysterical.

cleverley's the obvious comparison. kind of a xavi/zidane hybrid.

alli's more like peak rivaldo meets pre-injuries kaka. very honest player too, and humble to boot. god knows why we're not after him tbf.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.