The Current state of Stretford

I lived in Stretford for 40years and saw its slow decline. The street I lived on was once a great friendly neighbourhood ,everyone knew each other,tended their gardens ,kids all played together. When i left 5 years ago 60% of the street were of diverse ethnic backgrounds,houses look rundown & gardens overgrown .The community I knew was dead. That's the UK today I guess.

Hi All,

Not a debate on the RAGS this one but the place.
I moved here in the early 80s so I have spent nearly 40 years here, being a blue Stretford is not always an easy place to live at times but I guess better in recent years
I am 44 now and have lost both parents, my dad just last year (just 66) which fucking devastated me as he missed our golden season. My brother and sister don't live here now and I live on my own.

Over the last few months I have absolutely hated living in Stretford with a passion beyond words. I hate the roads, I hate the fact that theirs just 1 pub now, I hate Streford Arndale and generally even though I live in a nice flat in a reasonable area I just can't stand it. It pissed me off totally too that the inept idiots at Trafford Council slapped 6% on our council tax yet again which was a joke. Maybe the answer is to move but what is there in Stretford now? Absolutely nothing.

Does anyone else live here feel the same way or am I being over the top?
Forgive me as I'm not sure whether I am too well at the moment and if I'm depressed still because of my dad and perhaps I need to seek help to calm me down, maybe I am not being rational, I just don't know
I think your grieving fella and possibly lonely , it can be a lengthy process as i know myself.
Good days, not so good days but it does get better.
Your GP should be able to put you in touch with a support group maybe which may help.
Have you lost interest in other things recently or just the area?
Keep your chin up bud.

Sorry to hear you aren't feeling so good. As others have said, try the GP route and maybe a bit of counselling before putting yourself through the upheaval of a move. Unfortunately if you are sad or depressed, those bad things have a nasty habit of following you to wherever you might be. Loss is traumatic and there is no shame or weakness in talking to someone.

Hi All,

Not a debate on the RAGS this one but the place.
I moved here in the early 80s so I have spent nearly 40 years here, being a blue Stretford is not always an easy place to live at times but I guess better in recent years
I am 44 now and have lost both parents, my dad just last year (just 66) which fucking devastated me as he missed our golden season. My brother and sister don't live here now and I live on my own.

Over the last few months I have absolutely hated living in Stretford with a passion beyond words. I hate the roads, I hate the fact that theirs just 1 pub now, I hate Streford Arndale and generally even though I live in a nice flat in a reasonable area I just can't stand it. It pissed me off totally too that the inept idiots at Trafford Council slapped 6% on our council tax yet again which was a joke. Maybe the answer is to move but what is there in Stretford now? Absolutely nothing.

Does anyone else live here feel the same way or am I being over the top?
Forgive me as I'm not sure whether I am too well at the moment and if I'm depressed still because of my dad and perhaps I need to seek help to calm me down, maybe I am not being rational, I just don't know

What's the only pub left ? I grew up in Stretford... the old cock and the Robin hood were my regulars ... I not been back in 15 years

A fresh start in a new area is always good. You don’t even have to move far. Get yourself down the road into Chorlton, it’s a cracking area to live.

The Arndale really is the pits. I try and avoid it as much as possible.
I find it much better to do the short walk to Urmston which is starting to get a lot better . There are some really good bars and restaurants there . I was even in The Nelson on Saturday and it was like a City old boys reunion.
Even Charleton is only a twenty minute stride away . Don’t let your area bring you down. Just head a bit further afield pal.

Sorry to hear you aren't feeling so good. As others have said, try the GP route and maybe a bit of counselling before putting yourself through the upheaval of a move. Unfortunately if you are sad or depressed, those bad things have a nasty habit of following you to wherever you might be. Loss is traumatic and there is no shame or weakness in talking to someone.

Thanks.
It's been a year since dad died and to be honest it's good days bad days.
The highs are brilliant but the lows are terrible, almost unbearable. I don't know why.
I hate self diagnosing but maybe it's bipolar or something i have.

I think your grieving fella and possibly lonely , it can be a lengthy process as i know myself.
Good days, not so good days but it does get better.
Your GP should be able to put you in touch with a support group maybe which may help.
Have you lost interest in other things recently or just the area?
Keep your chin up bud.

Thanks mate

I was brought up in Stretford and still have family there. It’s been going downhill for a long time but this accelerated when violent criminals were no longer allowed to go home (after serving time) and were relocated into Trafford. The Council is a joke too. (I worked there for a year).

The highlights over the last decade include blue and white bunting down Henshaw Street on a certain day in May 2012 and the growth in match going Blues, they outnumber the rags. We’ve had some famous Blues including L.S. Lowry.

What's the only pub left ? I grew up in Stretford... the old cock and the Robin hood were my regulars ... I not been back in 15 years
I lived in Stretford for 6 months till last November. Only pub I know open is the Melville, plus the Metro social club and At Anne's RC club. Easy enough to get into Chorlton on the tram for food n' drink though.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.