Best gig you've ever been to

Not in any particular order but:
Yes, the Palace theatre, 1975
Pink Floyd, Bingley Hall, 75/76?
Queen, Free Trade Hall, November 75, the night Bohemian Rhapsody went to no.1
Lynyrd Skynyrd, the Crucuble, 1976ish
Bowie, Bingley Hall, think 1976
Bruce Springsteen, NEC, 1976
The Who, Queen Elizabethan Hall, 1977, probably the best gig ever until Nick Cave came along
The Clash, siousixie and the banshees and Magazine at the Elizabethan Hall, 1977ish, £1 entrance
Kiss, FTH, sometime late 70s
Bob Dylan, Earls Court, 1978
Joy Division, several times 79/80, best at the Russell Club
Neil Young, the Apollo, 2008?
Nick Cave, the Apollo and the MEN, 2009 and 2018, both absolutely stunning gigs

Sorry to be a git but pretty sure Springsteen didn't play NEC until 1981. He'd only played London in 1975 until he toured UK in 81.

Even though I grew up on punk in Manchester I'll throw out Live Aid in Philadelphia , Stevie Ray Vaughan in Toronto and Simple Minds in Paris as stand out gigs.
I hope I will feel the same way about Johnny Marr at the Apollo in Sept. Steve Diggle at some working mens club in Prestwich a few years ago was quite memorable as well.

Why can't I do quotes?
Anyway Clash and Siouxsie at Elizabethan
Ballroom Belle vue.
Just to jog your memories, that was my first gig and the other support band was Subway sect. Howard Devoto was there in the crowd but not lost.
Price to get in was 90p but no one paid.
Penetration played 2 or 3 weeks later with the Banshees and Buzzcocks.

Last edited:
Just to jog your memories, that was my first gig and the other support band was Subway sect. Howard Devoto was there in the crowd but not lost.
Penetration played 2 or 3 weeks later with the Banshees and Buzzcocks.

topper
Same as Barcon
The Clash Elizabethan ballroom Belle vue 77
I was at the Buzzcocks gig at the Mayflower in 78 as well.

topper, 16 Nov 2016

thank you. I have been scratching my head trying to think who the other band was for 40 fucking years.

P.S was the Mayflower gig with the slits and Patrick Fitzgerald?

topper
Same as Barcon

topper, 16 Nov 2016

thank you. I have been scratching my head trying to think who the other band was for 40 fucking years.

Yeah I saw the Slits at the Mayflower
topper
Same as Barcon

topper, 16 Nov 2016

Yeah I remember seeing the Slits at The Mayflower Patrick Fitzgerald I'm a bit vague on but I am sure I saw him once so may have been that one not sure.

Sorry to be a git but pretty sure Springsteen didn't play NEC until 1981. He'd only played London in 1975 until he toured UK in 81.
Concur with that - he'd done Hammersmith in 75 and not gone down too well (as he perceived it), came back in 81 touring The River and conquered the world. I was at the NEC and Townsend came on for the encore(s), which was odd as The Who famously don't encore. Sprinsteen does about 10 (or did in those days)

I saw Chris Cornell on four occasions.

First was at the M.E.N Arena with Ausioslave. Was a bit of a dull gig.

Second was at The Lowry for an acoustic set. Brilliant.

Third was at The Apollo with a reformed Soundgarden. Wasn't as great as I expected but at least I got to see my second favourite band perform.

Fourth at the Bridgewater Hall for another acoustic set. Magnificent! He covered Prince's Nothing Compares 2 U and I nearly came.

Greatest vocalist ever.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.