Whaley Bridge evacuated over fear of dam wall collapse

I see Boris has assessed the damage with his expert eye and declared the dam is 'dodgy but stable.'

Those words might come back to haunt him if the dam bursts properly.

He'd have been better saying nothing, other than the situation is very worrying...

Too northern for tories to give a shit.

Same problem occured with the flooding near Skegness earlier this year.
Quite. Because there are literally no flood risk areas in the Tory areas of the south. None at all

Your nations capital (in the south) is literally at no risk whatsoever either.

The dam , along with numerous others in the peaks , is owned and maintained by the Canals and Waterways Trust.
This is a charity.
It has nothing to do with government cuts.
The water authorities only own the water.
Not the land around or under it. Just the water. Just like any rain thats fallen on your garden. You dont own it , they do because eventually its their job to treat it.
Un fucking believable.....blaming the government for the weather now.
The dam , along with numerous others in the peaks , is owned and maintained by the Canals and Waterways Trust.
This is a charity.
Not the land around or under it. Just the water. Just like any rain thats fallen on your garden. You dont own it , they do because eventually its their job to treat it.

On Newsnight last night, a woman interviewed the Chief Executive of the Canals and Waterways Trust. It was a grilling tantamount to him being in the dock at the Old Bailey. He said at the outset the dam was inspected last November, all dams that are governed by them inspected once a year by the Trust and independently inspected every 10 years. He said nothing of concern was shown on the inspection in November, then she goes on at him asking him time again about how and why the dam began to give way and could this have been foreseen? I spoke outloud to the telly and myself, "how many more times does he have to tell you this was inspected and nothing was of concern on the inspection". It was so stupid and how he didn't tell her to shut her trap, because of the $hit she was talking, I don't know. Then a Labour minister came on and then started going on about not spending enough, blah, blah, blah. At times like these, stop arguing amongst each other and all roll your bloody sleeves up.

Why would the water company maintain a dam owned by another company?

the dam and reservoir are owned and maintained by the canals and river trust.
they are a charitable trust set up by slimy daves government to manage the waterways in england and wales as a way of saving money so they could close down British Waterways, the state run company that used to manage the waterways in england an wales.

This is a charity.

thats bollocks though isnt it.
The canals andabd waterways trust was set up by slimey daves government in 2012 so they could close down British Waterways and save money as part of the austerity measures
any lack of maintenance linked to lack of funds which is directly linked back to the government in 2012.

I personally know several people evacuated and my Nan and Mother live in New Mills.

Seems like they’ve got it under control.

What I will say is political point scoring here is stupid and unnecessary.

I despise this government but it’s not their fault, the dam is inspected and was passed fit.

It’s an accident and we should just hope it doesn’t collapse and people can return to their homes.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.