Hawkwind

Agree with most of this apart from the Steve Wilson remix of Warrior on the edge of time - he fucked up Golden Void which is unforgivable imo. If it's not broken don't try and fix it - shouldn't have let him near this iconic album.

Hawkwind we're the first band I went to see by myself - Sheff uni 76, and saw them play loads up to when levitation came out and I started to get into other stuff.

Space ritual sums up the band for me - Best live album ever made IMO.

What was it Wilson did to Golden Void that you didn't like? Just interested as I didn't find anything amiss with that at all. I loved the extra minute and a half that he added back into Magnu where the track had been very obviously cut on the original album; I nearly jumped off my chair when I first heard it, really unexpected as I know the album pretty much note for note!

Completely agree with you, Space Ritual is my favourite album by anyone, ever. Like you, they were the first band that I saw live, on the Sonic Attack tour Winter 1981; the rest is history. God knows how many times I've seen them over the years - well in excess of 50 I would think.

A fine track. Lemmy on vocals.

You're correct Lemmy is singing but wasn't the original singer on the track. It was recorded live, and Bob Calvert actually sang it at the gig where the track was recorded. The band didn't like it and the story goes that they all had a go at singing it, with Lemmy as a last resort; that is of course the version that everyone's familiar with. If you were ever sufficiently interested in hearing the original vocal, then it's on The Greasy Truckers Party album, which can be found on the interweb.

You're correct Lemmy is singing but wasn't the original singer on the track. It was recorded live, and Bob Calvert actually sang it at the gig where the track was recorded. The band didn't like it and the story goes that they all had a go at singing it, with Lemmy as a last resort; that is of course the version that everyone's familiar with. If you were ever sufficiently interested in hearing the original vocal, then it's on The Greasy Truckers Party album, which can be found on the interweb.
I had that album , with the power cut ,Roundhouse London .

What was it Wilson did to Golden Void that you didn't like? Just interested as I didn't find anything amiss with that at all. I loved the extra minute and a half that he added back into Magnu where the track had been very obviously cut on the original album; I nearly jumped off my chair when I first heard it, really unexpected as I know the album pretty much note for note!

Completely agree with you, Space Ritual is my favourite album by anyone, ever. Like you, they were the first band that I saw live, on the Sonic Attack tour Winter 1981; the rest is history. God knows how many times I've seen them over the years - well in excess of 50 I would think.

Like yourself I pretty much know this album note by note and maybe that's the reason I was so critical of the remix as I felt he took some of the power out of Golden Void, esp the distorted violin part. The original mix as you know sends the VU into the red!! I felt he rounded it off- should have kept it the same.

Fantastic band,and at the height of their power had no equal.

My favourite Hawkwind album Warrior On The Edge Of Time with brilliant ethereal lyrics that encapsulated that long forgotton timeless feeling of space rock and joy de vivr'e even if the Melody Maker did not quite approve but what do they know ? Rremastered below for your kind persual along with Magnu the horse with the golden mane to ride you deep into a dimensions new ..Best listened to with a few scoops of the amber necar or maybe a magic elixorial potion..To this day they remain quite quite remarkable and I had the honour and the pleasure of seeing them live in 1975 ..

Magnu horse with golden mane
I want your help yet once again
Walk not the Earth but fly through space
As lightning flash or thunder's race
Swift as the arrow from the bow
Come to me so that no one can know,
Sunbeams are my shafts to kill,
All men who dare imagine ill

Deceit that fears the light of day
Fly from the glory of my ray
Good minds open and take new light
Until we diminish by the reign of night

A burning brand was seen to fall,
It lit the darkness of the hall
The flying hoof beats circling in,
Come to me and let us spin
Sunbeams are my shafts to kill,
All men who dare imagine ill

Full album remastered

"Assault and Battery" lyrics quote from Henry Wadsworth Longfellow's poem "A Psalm of Life". The song is a popular live number, being performed occasionally over the years, and has appeared on numerous live albums, sometimes under the title "Lives of Great Men". It was included as part of the live show for The Chronicle of the Black Sword concept, appearing on the album Live Chronicles.

"The Golden Void" segues from "Assault and Battery", and the two songs are often performed live as a pair as on the albums Palace Springs (1991) and Canterbury Fayre 2001. The song is a popular live number, being performed occasionally over the years, and has appeared on numerous live albums, sometimes under the title "Void of Golden Light", as on 1994's The Business Trip.

"The Wizard Blew His Horn", "Standing at the Edge" and "Warriors" are Michael Moorcock poems based on his Eternal Champion literary figure. The poems are recited to atmospheric soundscapes provided by Simon House, and the percussionists Simon King and Alan Powell. The band had been performing them on stage during 1974, versions appearing on The 1999 Party live album.

"Opa-Loka" is an instrumental that features a motorik rhythm and is strongly influenced by the music of Neu!, the title possibly being a reference to Opa-locka, Florida. It was performed live, but when Robert Calvert joined the band at the beginning of 1976, he would recite the poem "Vikings on Mars" over the top of it, the song evolving into "Uncle Sam's on Mars" on the 1979 album PXR5.

"The Demented Man" is a Brock acoustic number. (Also listed as "The Demented King".)

The lyrics of "Magnu" are based upon Percy Shelley's poem "Hymn of Apollo". The song is a popular live number, being performed occasionally over the years, versions on the albums Choose Your Masques: Collectors Series Volume 2 (1982), The Friday Rock Show Sessions (1986) and Canterbury Fayre 2001.

"Spiral Galaxy 28948" is a Simon House instrumental, the title being his date of birth (28 September 1948). It was performed live in 1975 after the release of the album, and again during 2001 when House had temporarily rejoined the band, a version appearing on the album Canterbury Fayre 2001.

You forgot their 'exotic' dancer Stacia!
She wasn't altogether 'ethereal'.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.