Deal agreed with Bayern Munich for Leroy Sane - €60m (including add-ons)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't quite get the model to be honest, from a business front, anyhow.

I understand most of the guys are on short term contracts and have to accumulate a set amount of followers and subs inside the first six months.

The Sun had to come from behind a pay wall, even with their vast resources, so I'm not sure people in this country are willing to pay for content which might be considered more left field.

Ultimately, people want news and stuff they didn't already know.

A number of the guys who have joined were local patch journos, so were privy to briefs and sharing amongst the wider group.

There is no way the local pack will agree to that continuing for people who are now having to charge for 'privileged' steers.

Especially so, when the pack will still be obtaining and sharing that news for free.

When the organisation makes the journo the centre of the story, it shows you how far standards have fallen and how personality-driven things have become.

The Athletic are paying big salaries but I am interested to see how long that will be sustained if not aligned with big subscription numbers.

Quality journalism doesn't hold any guarantee on revenues.

The Guardian (if that's your bag) sells tiny numbers and has financially been on its arse for years.

Not true anymore. The Guardian is huge online. And, as an organisation, it's making a small profit now. The Athletic has a similar aesthetic - it's not after clickbaity stuff. Long read pieces are coming back and about time, too. The whole business model for journalism is now about making money from other sources (property, investments etc) to pay for the high-quality insightful stuff such as The Athletic and good investigative journalism (NYT; Guardian, etc - sadly no longer The Independent).

What's the Athletic?
WA2805841.jpg

What's the Athletic?

A new subscription site, which has tapped up tonnes of esteemed journalists and reporters and guys with links to clubs... Basically trying to get rid of the tabloid-y click bait nonsense and actually have an organised medium where credible reports from credible people can share their info.

Well worth a subscription tbh.

Is he gone yet, this whole transfer saga is getting very tedious.

I hope if Sane does say he wants to leave then we say OK we will find you a club, that club being the highest bidder! Bayern Munich are scum

Surely we could get decent money for him from China?

Not true anymore. The Guardian is huge online. And, as an organisation, it's making a small profit now. The Athletic has a similar aesthetic - it's not after clickbaity stuff. Long read pieces are coming back and about time, too. The whole business model for journalism is now about making money from other sources (property, investments etc) to pay for the high-quality insightful stuff such as The Athletic and good investigative journalism (NYT; Guardian, etc - sadly no longer The Independent).

I dont trust any journalism that comes from a source with political leanings. Just the facts would be nice, not snippets or half truths to portray their idealogy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.