"The Athletic" launches in the UK | About to be bought by NYT for $550m (p 32)

A move away from the click bait journalism we get in this country to a more balanced style is to be welcomed.

All journos at the mo...

"We need more revenue people."
"Another United/ Liverpool piece?"
"Go for it, slag off City if you can as well."
"Righto."

In the future....

"We haven't done a balanced piece on Burnley in a while."
"I'm on it, want me to slag off City and mention United?"
"What on earth for?"

One of the very best outcomes of this for myself would be the current heads having to get off their fat arses and change the status quo. Income will dry up enough to hopefully smash the "be nice to utd and liverpool if not have a pop at City, i'll be on my yacht" ethos that prevails. Even if they change the core narrative i want to see them on their knees asking why the readers have not come back. Then they can wither away.
The digital revolution has found the media generally wanting.

I remember a few years ago the FT selling out to the Nikkei despite admitting to being 75 percent digital. Not enough to compete they claimed.

You are correct G. casualties are bound to happen soon as we all adapt to the way we "read" our news and view our TV (incidentally keep up the good work on the tv front)'

I would too, but I bet he won’t go. I notice he must be the only major football journo without some kind of social media account, would you agree?
I think the fact that he doesn't use social media or any of that stuff would make him the perfect writer to swap to them. If The Athletic is all about quality journalism and not just being the marketing arm of a few select clubs then it seems like he should have been one of the first signings for them. It will be interesting to see how the writers they have working for them grow and see what they come up with working somewhere that promises to do what all the media should do, actual real quality journalism.

I've subscribed using the introductory offer and so far am glad I have. I do notice that they seem to have two dedicated contributors for United and Liverpool, and a James Pearce piece I read induce the same cloying nausea in me as so much of the sycophantic output concerning the Merseyside club in the mainstream press. However, Sam Lee has already produced interesting and well-written City articles, and there's high-quality general interesting reporting elsewhere in The Athletic, too. If it continues like this, I'll definitely renew next year.

I've subscribed using the introductory offer and so far am glad I have. I do notice that they seem to have two dedicated contributors for United and Liverpool, and a James Pearce piece I read induce the same cloying nausea in me as so much of the sycophantic output concerning the Merseyside club in the mainstream press. However, Sam Lee has already produced interesting and well-written City articles, and there's high-quality general interesting reporting elsewhere in The Athletic, too. If it continues like this, I'll definitely renew next year.

Sounds strange but it's very easy to avoid articles you don't want to read. All are given equal footing on the app unlike a traditional paper which might have a similarly nauseating piece spread over the back 4 pages.

I'm loving it so far. Thought Michael Cox's article yesterday on the promoted side was great and now I'm certainly going to look out for Sheffield United games this season.

Growing up, I always classed myself as a football fan before a City fan (many others may, and are perfectly welcome to, differ). That's changed with the media coverage over recent years as it's become ever more polarising and I find myself having to defend being a City fan. The Athletic is bringing back my love of all things football.

My wife's going to hate it.

Sounds strange but it's very easy to avoid articles you don't want to read. All are given equal footing on the app unlike a traditional paper which might have a similarly nauseating piece spread over the back 4 pages.

Yes, this is definitely true. I sought out the Liverpool coverage just to see what it was like, but I certainly won't be making a habit of it and, as you say, the way the site works makes that easy to do. I was just pointing out that they're not immune from the particular need to cater for certain clubs to drive subscriptions, but I don't expect that to affect my enjoyment of it.

I'm impressed. Seeing that fat tw@t Ashton have a meltdown on Twitter was the main reason I subscribed - but actually the content is strong. Good article on the rule change about leaving players in the box from a goal kick and also a nice piece on Ilkay. Long may it continue.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.