Joao Cancelo

Status
Not open for further replies.
I liked Danilo & thought he did a very good job as backup but this signing is fantastic. Wouldn’t be surprised if he ends up being the preferred option at right back, definitely going to give Walker a fight for his position!

I cannot for the life of me understand this thread. Most of the rest of the football world is talking about how good a signing this is and recognise Cancelo as one of the best right backs in the world but on here most people seem to think he's coming in to be a backup?

Believe me this is the equivalent of us signing Koulibaly and everyone going 'yeah great signing that, great backup for Stones'.

We want Cancelo to be first choice. Someone of his quality wouldn't be here to play second fiddle. We aren't signing the Portuguese Kieran Trippier, guys. He's the real deal.

I don't think that means he should be immediately displacing Kyle either though. Kyle isn't Ashley Young (c) so it won't be easy for Cancelo to usurp him, regardless of how good he may be.

However given our CB situation, I can see Kyle doing some time there and Cancelo slotting in his favoured position. I can also see Joao doing some time at LB given he's probably better than both Zinchenko and Angelino there at present.

When I look at us as a side I currently see the fullback positions as where we are weakest. If we consider Zinchenko and Walker as 1st choice (because of Mendys injury problems) then obviously both have strengths. Walker, recovery pace and defensive responsibility and Zinchenko, passing ability and great attacking link and ball carrying and delivery from wide. Both though have serious weaknesses. Walker is uncomfortable in possession, his passing range isn't the best and he's awful in and around the opponents box as he can't pick a cross or deliver one. Oleks struggles defensively one on one and gets done with pace and isn't a presence defensively when dealing with aerial balls in our box. Mendy great going forward, quick with an awesome delivery into the box and is relatively comfortable on the ball but is equally weak one on one. Although much taller than Oleks not sure he could out-jump him! Danillo was a bit of an all rounder not particularly good attacking but not poor and not weak defending but not outstanding at anything. We were severely exposed on Sunday at times. Its not very often the game stats look so poor for us and we win, particularly offensively and ball possession although we are still effectively in pre-season so hoping we will improve when fitness levels ramp up.

This isn't meant to be a critical piece Its just difficult when you have something very good to keep improving it. Does Joao Cancelo improve our 1st eleven? I haven't seen a lot of him but I understand he's pacy and technically very good. Portuguese players usually are. I suspect he will be better than Walker in possession however few have Walkers recovery ability pace wise. I suspect he may not have to use his pace as often as wont give the ball away as often as Walker does. I'll be intrigued to see if he can be more effective than Walker in and around the opponents box, i've heard he's good in these areas. In this respect he sounds like a good upgrade on Danillo (how big is this guys trophy cabinet - from Real to us and now Juve). If we can get Mendy fit and firing on paper we are better than last year (except for Vinnys absence). Unfortunately football isn't played on paper.

Now we have addressed RB and Pivot do we need another Centre half? Are we after one this window? Probably out of time now.

Looking forward to this season now. I suspect Foden and David Silva will be rotated a lot more as will Rodri and Ferna. It will be interesting to see who and what Pep wants at RB. It may be a lot more of horses for courses. One may get the nod for the park the bus merchants (with an expectation of hitting us with pace on the break) whilst more adept teams may require a more tactical solution with an eye on defensive nous and ball retention.

Can't wait now - bring on the Hammers.

Cones Alert!!!!
2v1w7Fe.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.