Squad compared to last season

I feel it’s not easy to answer. Losing Leroy for a long time is a huge blow not only for the poor lad but places pressure on other wide players. Another injury up front for a couple of months would be a real challenge. Plus we lose the pace and virtuosity of him.

Vincent as a whole package just can’t be replaced. He was a colossus. We have not signed another CB and playing Fernandinho there may not work as well as what Pep did with Masherano- simply because there is more long ball and physicality here and Fern can be rash. Look at the Schalke and Newcastle games - the quick game breaking foul is not much of an option as CB. The whole team needs to step up with leadership and that’s not easy if you’re fighting for your place.
We’ve also God forgive lost a bit of David. We saw last season he can’t play a whole top notch season as he could 2-3 years ago.
Incoming, Rodri looks okay but too early to judge. Cancelo looks good on you tube but too early to judge. Angelino is a back up.

Which leads into the biggest risk for me if we go for everything - that KDB, Bernado, Sergio and possibly Raheem end up being overplayed simply because needs must. The other longer term risk is the effect of a transfer ban.
I think there is an element of classic City mistakes in not strengthening enough after winning the league. Others have strengthened and as we saw on Sunday Liverpool are a very good team.
I would have been looking at David’s replacement right now as well as Sergio’s and also a Delph type whose good enough to do a job but does not mind not playing that much. Foden is too young to have the pressure of replacing David like for like at least for a couple of seasons in my view- amazing talent that he is.
So overall I would say slightly weaker and I think it will be a great challenge for Pep to rotate properly and bring a couple of youngsters in- if anyone can do it he can but I think to retain the league again will be his greatest achievement.
I’m backing him and the squad to do it

We’re better.

Kev is back and that in effect is a ‘new’ WC midfield signing.

Cancelo is better offensively than Walker and provides an excellent ‘different option’.

Rodrigo gives much needed added depth in the ‘Fernandinho role’ and added height for attacking and defending set pieces.

Angelino gives ‘proper’ LB cover (as in Zinchenko and Delph weren’t LBs) and allows Mendy time to get fit and get right. If we can get Mendy right, that’s a new WC signing at LB.

Mahrez - I expect him to be over ‘first season syndrome’ and fucking smash it this season. A better version of himself if you like.

Foden - will be a much bigger part of it this season imo. Again, like a really good ‘new signing’.

So it’s not just the signings that improve us it’s Kev and Mendy getting back and the other lads ‘stepping up’ this season.

I think we’ll win the CL and prem this season. We’re that good.

I feel it’s not easy to answer. Losing Leroy for a long time is a huge blow not only for the poor lad but places pressure on other wide players. Another injury up front for a couple of months would be a real challenge. Plus we lose the pace and virtuosity of him.

Vincent as a whole package just can’t be replaced. He was a colossus. We have not signed another CB and playing Fernandinho there may not work as well as what Pep did with Masherano- simply because there is more long ball and physicality here and Fern can be rash. Look at the Schalke and Newcastle games - the quick game breaking foul is not much of an option as CB. The whole team needs to step up with leadership and that’s not easy if you’re fighting for your place.
We’ve also God forgive lost a bit of David. We saw last season he can’t play a whole top notch season as he could 2-3 years ago.
Incoming, Rodri looks okay but too early to judge. Cancelo looks good on you tube but too early to judge. Angelino is a back up.

Which leads into the biggest risk for me if we go for everything - that KDB, Bernado, Sergio and possibly Raheem end up being overplayed simply because needs must. The other longer term risk is the effect of a transfer ban.
I think there is an element of classic City mistakes in not strengthening enough after winning the league. Others have strengthened and as we saw on Sunday Liverpool are a very good team.
I would have been looking at David’s replacement right now as well as Sergio’s and also a Delph type whose good enough to do a job but does not mind not playing that much. Foden is too young to have the pressure of replacing David like for like at least for a couple of seasons in my view- amazing talent that he is.
So overall I would say slightly weaker and I think it will be a great challenge for Pep to rotate properly and bring a couple of youngsters in- if anyone can do it he can but I think to retain the league again will be his greatest achievement.
I’m backing him and the squad to do it

Bernardo is David’s replacement mate.

I also have no doubt in my mind that Bernabe is ready to be a regular rotational option in the team. He can't come anywhere near replacing Sane's pace but the kid is absolute class and should be given 5-10 games this season IMO.

We've added depth to our squad and I think Rodri will go on to be an important player for us.
I don't think we've necessarily improved our strongest 11 by bringing in better players but it's a squad game nowadays and we've strengthened that.
I think we'll miss Kompany and his presence around the club, just how much, I guess we'll see.

Weaker without vinny and sane,particulary vinny when we need someone to steady things during stressful game,stronger at RB,ok at LB IF benny stays fit and hasn't lost something with the injuries,stronger with rodders to help dinho,on balance a bit stronger,the loss of vinny is key for me though

We’ve strengthened in the necessary areas, but with two key players already out for lengthy periods, you just cannot predict how injuries will affect us over the season.

I was a little surprised that we didn’t add a midfielder, but I’m confident that we might have already earmarked two players for next summer.

We’re obviously weaker at centre back and in leadership on and off the pitch, losing Vinny.

Left back is an issue. Sometimes you can carry an issue (we have done brilliantly two seasons running with midfielders playing left back), can we do it again?

Now with Sané going down we have little cover for Raheem on the left, unless Jesus plays there but then we have no cover for Kun.

Cancelo strengthens us on the right (can he maybe play left back?) and Rodri is a good long term replacement for Fernandinho but I think Fern will be first choice still for now (he’s the most underrated player in our team, in fact I can’t think of another player worldwide who's so underrated!)

The tipping point is bringing in Scott Carson. What a signing!

The biggest one is keeping de Bruyne fit though he’ll be like a new signing (and a £200m one at that!)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.