City matchday presenters sacked over podcast (P6)

And while discussing City's late arrival in China for last month's pre-season tour, a fictitious 'Mr Wong' claimed the club's plane was twice cancelled because of a lack of Jackie Chan films on the flight.

In the 'Mr Wong' persona, McClean was recorded saying: 'You like Jackie Chan? Me (sic) like Jackie Chan! We no (sic) have paperwork or Jackie Chan film on plane. You need Jackie Chan film on plane.'
Doesnt sound that funny to be honest. Also i supose in this day and age the club can't afford to possibly offend anyone. Shame as I liked McLean. Hate Ferris and he's still there.

I honestly don’t know what you can and can’t say anymore...I have no idea what you can and can’t say any more

It's about context isn't it? If it was recorded for the bluemoon podcast I doubt anyone would have noticed. If you work for the club you can't publicly ridicule the owners and expect to keep the job.

Ask them then and if they say they find it offensive don't use it , it really isn't that difficult. It's not for a white English born person to tell people what they should or should not consider offensive or rude. that goes for people of any background that may have been discriminated against in the past or present whether on race, nationality, religion, sexuality whatever. If they find something offensive then it's just common decency and respect not to do it.

No its not.

The underlying logic here is that the goal is to make a speech inoffensive. That's ridiculous and pointless. You cant make any even remotely controversial point without being in some way offensive to someone somewhere. The standard is impossible. You cant say "fuck the scousers" without being offensive. You cant say "I prefer brown sauce on my bacon butty" without offending the odd person who has dedicated their life to the study of ketchup.

It's not up to me to regulate your emotional response. I'll try not to purposely antagonize but if the choice is between making my point in the way that I want or offending you then you're going to be offended.

People now use offence as a power play. It's not a legitimate concern of mental distress caused to someone, it's a way of shutting down things they dont like by inventing mythical or conceptual hypothetical people that might be offended and saying that this is a bad thing somehow. The only way to play the game in the modern world is to opt out of the whole system. Be offensive, be offended. It's ok. It doesn't kill you. You're not going to die because somebody called you a ****.

As ever, the Fry comment on this is accurate.

People now use offence as a power play. It's not a legitimate concern of mental distress caused to someone, it's a way of shutting down things they dont like by inventing mythical or conceptual hypothetical people that might be offended and saying that this is a bad thing somehow. The only way to play the game in the modern world is to opt out of the whole system. Be offensive, be offended. It's ok. It doesn't kill you. You're not going to die because somebody called you a ****.
I don't know which word you were imagining under those stars, but I think there's a word that some brown people and some gay people might be thinking of that could mean you're going to die, or at least get beaten up.

I don't know which word you were imagining under those stars, but I think there's a word that some brown people and some gay people might be thinking of that could mean you're going to die, or at least get beaten up.

Ok which words did McClean use that signalled that?

And I said cnut. Forgot people had censored

The existence of legitimately offensive words that do cause distress is not a validation of the need for inoffensive speech. In fact you could coherently argue that it's the opposite

Or to put it another way, just because bad words exist doesnt mean we should all stop using words

I honestly don’t know what you can and can’t say anymore and I feel sorry sometimes when people get hung out to dry for slip ups they obviously didn’t mean to cause any offence with. Is mimicking someone’s accent offensive? I watched Ramesh Ranganation on tele few weeks back and he was mocking his mum by putting on a stereotypical Indian accent, or is it only ok if you are taking the piss out of your own?
I also thought you couldn’t call people brown or coloured and it was highly offence but I have seen on lots of news interviews recently on the tele (usually MPs talking about Brexit zzzzz) and people are now referring as ‘brown people’ and are using the term ‘people of colour’. I have no idea what you can and can’t say anymore.
You can say what you like as long as it does not incite hatred. That is the ONLY legal restriction on what you can say or not say. In the work place you will have your own boundaries clearly set out and supported by training. If you choose to ignore it then you rightly lay your self open. Different businesses have different thresholds but most take a view that there is a fine line between 'harmless banter' and potential bullying. Ask most black players from the last 40 years in English football and they will tell what difference it makes.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.