City matchday presenters sacked over podcast (P6)

A part of me is thinking City were just waiting waiting for these two to give themselves enough rope?

There were some uncomfortable moments pre-match last season where I thought the two were pushing the boundaries between taste and poking fun at the expense of some people, mainly kids and young mums, when it came to innuendo and getting a cheap laugh.

You have to be all things to all people when it comes to fronting the so-called matchday experience.

It had become a little bit in-house standing at the bar kinda delivery, although I'm sure no racist slight was intended by them, just an ignorance of a society thay can be quick to offend and equally quick to be offended.

As a white British male, I have no inkling how other groups would feel.
Nail on the head ref para 2.

A part of me is thinking City were just waiting waiting for these two to give themselves enough rope?

There were some uncomfortable moments pre-match last season where I thought the two were pushing the boundaries between taste and poking fun at the expense of some people, mainly kids and young mums, when it came to innuendo and getting a cheap laugh.

You have to be all things to all people when it comes to fronting the so-called matchday experience.

It had become a little bit in-house standing at the bar kinda delivery, although I'm sure no racist slight was intended by them, just an ignorance of a society thay can be quick to offend and equally quick to be offended.

As a white British male, I have no inkling how other groups would feel.

Who wants pre match and half time “entertainment” anyway its utter rubbish said before bit of music and the footy scores. Or is it the younger generation who want this?

I agree to a point.There are lines though, those lines shift with circumstances. There is racist homophobic language that would get be banned on bluemoon,there is language I could use on bluemoon that would get me thrown off TV or radio. What I am allowed to get away with in the pub with friends is different to what's allowed at work, even in the street there is language that can be seen by most as hateful and could get me arrested. The club have drawn a line here but depending where we are there will always be a line somewhere.
Context/circumstance is the dominant factor, throw in the constant evolution of what is deemed acceptable, and accept there is no end to this thread. At the height of the popularity of night-clubs (pre-anderton) an "artist" would get roars of laughter just by saying "fuckin' hell" or "them ****s", Manning had an endless repertoire of "paki-themed" material, gay-bashing, lesbian slurs, "thick paddies", audiences lapped it up. At the same time, national tv/radio and printed media was devoid of even mild expletives, with the odd milestone like the sex-pistols interview that lowered the bar, and later, the "water-shed" curfew when four-letter words became common "when children were in bed" (ffs).
What seems to have changed is the previously ignored "victims" of the abuse have found a voice, through enlightened politicians and celebrities, brave editorship and of course the internet, (a double-edged sword, if ever there was one !!). Evolution, not revolution.
Having witnessed many tribunals where the claim for unfair dismissal cases are summarily dismissed by the adjudicator, the employer has all the power, they use the most likely-to-win tactic, and the law gives them an open-goal, gross-industrial-misconduct being the catch-all. We will never know for sure the actual grounds for dismissal, should it ever go to a tribunal (unless they are very wealthy, highly unlikely). For all we know, Pep might fancy the gig.....

Best news I’ve had today! Hate that mike whatshisface. What an idiot.

Yes indeedy!

Some people are clearly finding it though living in a world where lazy bigotry and racial stereotyping isn’t accepted as a national pastime. Thoughts with right wing blowhards at his difficult time.
Do you think the two sacked are right wing blowhards as you put it, or just misjudged attempted humour.

Who wants pre match and half time “entertainment” anyway its utter rubbish said before bit of music and the footy scores. Or is it the younger generation who want this?
Maybe a marching band or bring back the German Shepherd police dogs going through their paces

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.