Var debate 2019/20

The only way this will ever work is if it's completely computerised, with a chip inside the ball and chips in players' boots and "Hawkeye" like technology. So the system knows exactly when the ball is struck and exactly where every player is on the pitch, to within millimeters.

For it to work it needs (a) to be *instant*, so that when someone scores, *immediately* up on the screen flashes "GOAL", or "NO GOAL". None of this hanging around for 2 minutes bollocks.

And second, we need to completely remove human judgement from the equation (which is required to fulfill the "instant decision" requirement anyway). You don't get McEnroe style tantrums in tennis anymore because Hawkeye has completely removed any subjectivity. "Computer says no" and that's final.

If we implemented it like that, then it could be good. But I can't see the powers that be going for this in a year of Sundays.
But if we did it that way, we'd take away the importance of the referee who is at the centre of the stage, I mean pitch.

There, the referee stands, all eyes upon them, as they and they alone hold the fortunes of thousands in their grasp. A hushed silence descends upon the stadium. We await, our hero (or villain) ready to give their verdict....

...and...

"No goal"

Could you live with yourself, taking away that moment from the likes of Mike Dean!?!

I posted this in the other VAR thread but how can offside be given by millimetres when the camera isn't even fast enough to keep up with the players? For the second offside call Raheem is moving faster than the camera can capture properly which is why he's blurry in the picture so how can a call as tight as the first offside be made?
Walton explained that the technology the PL are using is very accurate, sounds like its more than we know, so it could be a hawkeye like set up, and that the managers and captains have all been shown it in action this week, and all were happy with it. We fans seem to be the ones least in the loop, and it would be good if one of the broadcasters went and saw how it is working, but the lines we are seeing are not what is being used, they are just for explanation purposes.

The problem is they are trying to make it as absolute for offside as it is for goal line technology but that is not possible. Nothing worse for the game not knowing whether to celebrate or not. They have completely removed the benefit of doubt towards the attacking team. I think they need to change rule to any body part can be in an onside position at least.

Celebrating happens in cricket, rugby league, American football, tennis etc.
doesn’t it?
I’m quite calm about VAR - it’ll iron out & we’ll all get used to it (or we better for our own sanity as it ain’t going anywhere)

Celebrating happens in cricket, rugby league, American football, tennis etc.
doesn’t it?
I’m quite calm about VAR - it’ll iron out & we’ll all get used to it (or we better for our own sanity as it ain’t going anywhere)
The offside rule needs to be changed if there is even a remote chance for it to work, and not be the main talking point every week.

Walton explained that the technology the PL are using is very accurate, sounds like its more than we know, so it could be a hawkeye like set up, and that the managers and captains have all been shown it in action this week, and all were happy with it. We fans seem to be the ones least in the loop, and it would be good if one of the broadcasters went and saw how it is working, but the lines we are seeing are not what is being used, they are just for explanation purposes.

But the vast majority on here are saying it is poor even though we won. It is not as if we are moaning after losing 1-0 with the winning goal being as a result of a very close VAR decision. If fans are complaining after winning 5-0 it surely highlights they have made it into a ridiculous situation. We appear to be talking about millimetres between offside/onside, surely that is just ludicrous.

Jesus’s disallowed goal seemed more onside than the one that was given.

I can see many penalties being re-taken this season because goalkeepers always step off their line.

One of the broadcasters really should do a show on how VAR works in that case, I'd be really interested in seeing how it's done and to see what tolerances are used. They obviously can't use the cameras for it so how are they measuring these things? I don't know anything about Hawkeye (is that the one used in cricket?) but that could be possible if it uses GPS or something, I don't know how they would use it to decide where Sterling's shoulder ends and his arm begins for the first disallowed goal though. I must admit to being slightly dubious about it just because it's Walton though!

The only way this will ever work is if it's completely computerised, with a chip inside the ball and chips in players' boots and "Hawkeye" like technology. So the system knows exactly when the ball is struck and exactly where every player is on the pitch, to within millimeters.

For it to work it needs (a) to be *instant*, so that when someone scores, *immediately* up on the screen flashes "GOAL", or "NO GOAL". None of this hanging around for 2 minutes bollocks.

And second, we need to completely remove human judgement from the equation (which is required to fulfill the "instant decision" requirement anyway). You don't get McEnroe style tantrums in tennis anymore because Hawkeye has completely removed any subjectivity. "Computer says no" and that's final.

If we implemented it like that, then it could be good. But I can't see the powers that be going for this in a year of Sundays.

I couldn't agree more.

It’s not right at all,they are taking it to far yes they decide it’s offside like the sterling shoulder one ( I actually thought that was not offside but his next one was which stood after check) as already posted by some it’s going right down to millimetres or even less,ffs by the rules of the game yes but anything that tight how actually can they say he’s gained an advantage over the defender unless your superman, it’s gone to far ...

But the vast majority on here are saying it is poor even though we won. It is not as if we are moaning after losing 1-0 with the winning goal being as a result of a very close VAR decision. If fans are complaining after winning 5-0 it surely highlights they have made it into a ridiculous situation. We appear to be talking about millimetres between offside/onside, surely that is just ludicrous.
The same millimeters that Stones stopped Liverpool from scoring Aguero scored against Burnley.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.