Does the offside rule need changing?

Has to be the feet doesnt it.
Ian Wright nailed it on MOTD, Sterling gained no advantage from his shoulder being 3mm in front of the defender he still needed the additional run on goal.
Typically you don't score with those parts of the body Unless you were already two feet out from the goal line and in those scenarios offside rarely factors.

It does need changing and there are a number of alternatives. A simple one is that the back foot of the attacker has to be in front of the defender. So his whole body has to be offside. Another alternative is that football could do what most other sports do and decide if there's been a clear error in order to over-rule the original decision on the field. Our disallowed goal yesterday wasn't a clear error so would have stood. So the James Milner one last season or the Kyle Walker one at Spurs a few seasons back would be ruled out as you'd normally expect a competent official to have spotted that.

But what got me yesterday for our goal was that Jesus was certainly well in an offside position when that move started for the disallowed goal but because he was behind the ball when it was played to him he wasn't deemed offside. Yet he was gaining far more of an advantage than Sterling in that move yet wasn't offside.

The last few years we have seen defenders,defending,trying to defend,with their arms behind their backs, after yesterday's decision I,e,it was the momentum of sterlings arms whilst running are we gonna see players in attacking positions trying to make runs with no movement in the arms.

Must be changed cos defenders at an advantage with var. Feet or torso better than current situation. Take your pick.

If that Jesus goal yesterday was Salah last minute against us do we reckon it's offside or not?

That’s more or less what I was going to post.

There’s only this outrage about the current offside rule because it denied us a goal, in a match we were already winning 2-0, but if it had chalked off a Hammers' goal to make it 2-1, we wouldn’t hear a murmur.

As long as it’s applied impartially and the same for everyone I see no problem with it.

....and to think the offside rule was only brought in to stop goal-hanging.
Speaking of goal-hanging ;- how many of van Nistelroy's goals would have been chalked off with VAR used fairly?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.