Premier League Games 9/10/11 August 2019

For all of us that correctly predicted a United goal out of the blue (ie everyone on the planet), pat yourselves on the back.

Special commendation for anyone who thought the ref would have a role.

It’s all so predictable. I should start putting money on it

Refs are gonna call a lot of pens this season, even at the slightly contact because they feel like it's gonna be checked over in the back office. But the back office is only going to overturn clear and obvious errors, so I expect to see a lot of pens this season. Probably a benefit to us though considering the way we play.
LA LIGA
Penalties awarded season before VAR: 113
Penalties awarded season after VAR: 128

La Liga shows a clear increase in the number of penalties awarded in this post-VAR dystopian. An increase of around 12% is definitely enough to take notice of, but it isn’t sharp enough to give us a clear conclusion either. Perhaps things will settle next season. Hasta la vista, baby.

SERIE A
Penalties awarded season before VAR: 137
Penalties awarded season after VAR: 126

Unlike La Liga, the Serie A tells a different story. Here, the number of penalties has actually decreased since the introduction of VAR. Not exactly the penalty-fest that some might’ve imagined.

BUNDESLIGA
Penalties awarded season before VAR: 98
Penalties awarded season after VAR: 93

The Germans have mirrored their Italian friends, with yet another decrease in the number of penalties after the introduction of VAR.

But I see what you mean about them being given by the pitch ref initially just in case he thinks it’ll need reviewing, could increase.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.