Var debate 2019/20

Pep Guardiola on VAR: “Maybe the intensity and passion will leave [the game]. It is going to change the dynamic - not just for the team but also for the spectators. You have to be calm and strong. This will be a good lesson. Maybe it will be quicker in future.”

Wrong according to below... above arm pit is not hand ball. See balo v Norwich for shoulder goal.

Answer provided by Referee Dennis Wickham
The 'hand' includes fingertips, upper arm, and the outer part of the shoulder. It does not include the top of the shoulder.
Suggest Dennis reads the actual law. All it states is shoulder. I believe the bit he is quoting is from some advice handed out to refs as a guidline about 5 years ago which they have since reversed. Also the Balo goal V Norwich should have been disallowed in law, not that I am complaining

However accurate the system is, the after effects are shite. Measuring to a gnat's cock for offside leading to a goal is ridiculous. Handball ruling I'm ok with as previous ruling was crap

I think Edwin Starr said it best...….

I said, var, good god, now, what is it good for?
Absolutely, nothing
Say it again, var, what is it good for?
Absolutely, nothing, listen to me

Until such a time the exact system used is revealed to all and the way it is calibrated and its accuracy, you like the rest of us here are guessing and the question will remain no matter how much you think you know and that is, "how accurate is it"?
Or we can all just believe they’ve not got a clue and/or it’s some conspiracy in aid of United and Liverpool and we (and the multi billion pound industry) are all being lied to.

Not sure why people keep claiming United goals weren’t checked by var. every goal scored is checked they just aren’t all noticed because the majority are done within a second or two.

He must have given 2 interviews then because in the one I saw he said he accepted the decision but didn't like the way the flow of the game was interrupted.

I think that the issue of the a 2 minute delay is what bothers most fans. It reduces your connection to the game. You have to emotionally detach yourself from goals when they go in, and wait.

There are issues such as scope for manipulation and the precision with which they can make an offside call. I think they should change the offside rule because I don't believe they can do what they claim, i.e. measure absolutely whether a player is offside or not. With all the variables involved there could be a significant error.

We're guessing. The fact we're guessing suggests that the process isn't so good, otherise they'd be open about how it operates.

I suspect if they let the cameras in to see what they do, people will realise it's fallibilities and it will get thrown out. This is making me suspicious that it's not all its cracked up to be. if it works, and you can reliable reproduce all the weekend's calls again and again and again, then show it to the public, and more people will accept it, but the fact they haven't makes me wonder whether it's reliable

Just what I read on the bbc article mate. If his words have been taken out of context then fair enough but we’ve seen fans make that claim too so I think my points are still valid in that regard.

Yes the main issue is the length of time it takes, it’s the one and only legitimate claim against it but we’ve seen a marked improvement already, most decisions are done within a few seconds. The ones we were subjected to were on the extreme end, you won’t find tighter decisions made all season and even then they were made a lot quicker than they were in the champs league last season. They still need to be quicker but I trust they will be in time. Nothings every perfect from the start.

With regards to guessing, I don’t believe they are, technology draws the lines not some guy with ms paint open. As we don’t know the finer details of it I accept there may be a margin of error but even accepting they are guessing, did the refs not guess without var? It’s essentially gone from a blind guess to an educated guess at worst in the tightest situations. It’s not perfect but nothing ever is, it’s a big improvement. It would help perception if the league released an in depth video of how the technology works to ease the minds of the doubters and I reckon we will see one before too long.

Or we can all just believe they’ve not got a clue and/or it’s some conspiracy in aid of United and Liverpool and we (and the multi billion pound industry) are all being lied to.

If you have got that from my original post then im lost for words?

Transparency and communication.

Goal line tech is 100% technological and takes away any human interpretation and everyone trusts it.

That might never be possible with offside but all we ask is for transparency and communication as to how the system is currently working and the tech behind it.

Players and managers have been shown and are apparently fine so great but lets all be informed is all im asking.

Does anyone think that a PL var decision so far has been manipulated?

Sterling’s goal would have been the easiest, I thought he was off from first replay with no lines.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.