Var debate 2019/20

Having seen the disallowed Wolves goal, I have no idea why people are complaining about it or why MOTD2 suggested it might be "against the spirit of the game". They have that backwards, gaining any advantage from the use of the arm has always been considered against the spirit of the game.

Good decision for me, I don't want to see any goals where someone's handled it "but didn't mean it", don't let it hit your arm... every striker knows that. It's nothing like defending a shot at the other end of the pitch. Should have been the law from day one of VAR last season.

That’s incorrect, it’s 50 FPS. I posted three links previous stating that.
You are correct if UHDTV is being used - it has 50 frames a second but it takes 4 times the bandwidth of HDTV. I had totally forgotten about that.
You are probably right that UHDTV is used but as the VAR technical specs have not been published so we dont know. It will take a hell of a good internet connection to pass 8 camera images to VAR TV central which I know is the long term goal to provide manipulable 3D images.
The main point is that Offside is still a subjective decision for armpit decisions as it is totally dependent on the frame that the VAR operator decides the ball has been touched by the passer. They got it wrong for Sterlings offside decision.

Last edited:
According to FIFA, in your example it should be when Silva makes contact with the ball as it should have been on Saturday.

I agree with Andy Gray about which frame they use being a major issue, just not about how many FPS Sky/BT etc use.
If that's the case with regard to which frame is used, surely its open to abuse. Can see far more reviews going rags and dippers way than ours this season

So despite the new evidence showing it’s not going to miss big offsides (unlike the previous tried and tested system), you prefer the old way?

Too early to say. On first showing the whole system didnt cover itself in glory and show off the supposedly infalliable system weve led to believe was being implemented. If you look at prev post mine opinion was based on the idea of 'clear and obvious error' which as I explained Raz's goal didnt seem to fit that criteria so Im going to wait until I see consitency from our other games and other PL games. I'll try to understand who exactly makes the decision that it was a clear and obvious error (1 guy, 2 guy consensus or the computer?) And how much bias can be applied to said decison of clear and obvious error and who decides how much scrutiny it requires, and are the reasons noted down and logged, and justified by the VAR panel etc. Then i'll make an informed opinion as to whether i like the old system or new. And I may change that as I see more and more how the system as a whole is used across the league.

Having seen the disallowed Wolves goal, I have no idea why people are complaining about it or why MOTD2 suggested it might be "against the spirit of the game". They have that backwards, gaining any advantage from the use of the arm has always been considered against the spirit of the game.

Good decision for me, I don't want to see any goals where someone's handled it "but didn't mean it", don't let it hit your arm... every striker knows that. It's nothing like defending a shot at the other end of the pitch. Should have been the law from day one of VAR last season.
The objection with VAR is not the decision that is arrive at. It was not perfect before. It is beacuse you've got 3,000 Wolves fans celebrating and then 3 minutes later Leicester fans celebrating. You feel mugged off. It doesn't happen every game, but you can't be stopping the game. This is fundamentally different to the goal-line technology which is instant and very precise. Now we have souped up video replays being used to given an answer 2 minutes later. It's not going to get much better. It's just flawed. We might have better desicions but they can't make them quick enough.

Too early to say. On first showing the whole system didnt cover itself in glory and show off the supposedly infalliable system weve led to believe was being implemented. If you look at prev post mine opinion was based on the idea of 'clear and obvious error' which as I explained Raz's goal didnt seem to fit that criteria so Im going to wait until I see consitency from our other games and other PL games. I'll try to understand who exactly makes the decision that it was a clear and obvious error (1 guy, 2 guy consensus or the computer?) And how much bias can be applied to said decison of clear and obvious error and who decides how much scrutiny it requires, and are the reasons noted down and logged, and justified by the VAR panel etc. Then i'll make an informed opinion as to whether i like the old system or new. And I may change that as I see more and more how the system as a whole is used across the league.
It's not too early. We've had it for 12 months now. Champions League.

I am waiting for when a Man Utd or Liverpool goal gets ruled out, and they lose or draw that game. Then the media will go crazy. At the moment they don't care if City or Wolves fans celebrate in vain. In fact for them it's quite funny.

Apologies if it's already been mentioned, but did anyone else think Mike Dean looked like he was not going to give the penalty and then appeared to change his mind and point to the spot? The cynic in me was thinking at the time that he suddenly realised VAR was in use, that VAR would say it was a definite pen, and he'd look a bit of a twat if he hadn't given it!

Just to add that I've never had any major issue with Dean when he's reffed us in the past but that little episode looked a bit dodgy to me.

It's not too early. We've had it for 12 months now. Champions League.

I am waiting for when a Man Utd or Liverpool goal gets ruled out, and they lose or draw that game. Then the media will go crazy. At the moment they don't care if City or Wolves fans celebrate in vain. In fact for them it's quite funny.

Sorry Marv but you've nudged into a friendly debate with myself and SWP and my saying that its too early was a discussion about opinions and I was answering a question...to early for me to decide whether i prefer the old system or new system. I explained my reasoning as best I can for a Monday morning :)

The game, for all its imperfections, lasted well over 100 years without the need to micro-evaluate every single decision, 50 frames per second etc, and the one thing that makes us all go to the game is the hope of seeing and celebrating a goal in all its glory. VAR has killed that. Stone dead. We've had one game and everyone can see that. The lack of celebrations by the fans at the game on Saturday painted its own dismal story. We were all expecting VAR to rule them out or at least have to wait to be told. The pure exhilaration of celebrating a goal has been taken away. The game was fine without VAR. It's shite with it - and that was the opinion of everyone I sat with at the game on Saturday and who travelled on the coach with me; young and old, everyone said the same thing: it killed the game. And it has killed THE game.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.