Punk and New Wave thread.

Sandinista,
This might be a silly question but which album do you prefer London Calling or Sandinista ?
I hated Sandinista when it came out and after the initial listen I didn’t listen to it again for years .. moving on , I now think it’s brilliant, on a par with LC or if not better . Love the Dub tracks

Sandinista,
This might be a silly question but which album do you prefer London Calling or Sandinista ?
I hated Sandinista when it came out and after the initial listen I didn’t listen to it again for years .. moving on , I now think it’s brilliant, on a par with LC or if not better . Love the Dub tracks

It'd probably make a great single album.
One of the best on it

Was 14 when punk broke through, my brother was really into it (he loved Damned/Buzzcocks/Magazine/Pistols/Stranglers, also Graham Parker and QTips) I didnt fully understand what I thought punk was about until I heard The Jam - changed my life.

Not a Mod but his words meant something to me then, still do.

Always thought punk was about youth, interesting when you see the ages of many of the participants.

I also loved Joe Jackson, Costello and XTC

The best ever music genre, when the 80’s shite came along it ruined the legacy for me, however it’s personal choice and it’s whatever floats your boat.

An odd one here about Joe Strummer.... Surely he wasnt a cockney red???

Joe Stummer made a record about Manchester U****d? What the f**k is that about?
I am halfway through The Charlatans Tim Burgess' book and there is a chapter on his friendship with Strummer including this bit.

"I spoke to him a few times over the phone while he was writing the words to a celebratory Manchester U****d song. I was too busy to be involved but asked Mark (Collins) to go to the recording and represent the band. But the song was never released as U****d never made it to the final."
I don’t give a monkeys arse, Joe Stummer is one of the greatest musicians ever to walk this planet.

the real truth is the real punk's scene was over before the sex pistols even started ?? and it was lead by david bowie and the Ziggy Stardust look, and underground scene was alive with punks well before the youth and the media got hold of it and turned it main stream and a fashion icon

many of the early glam rock stars like marc bolan david bowie even slade and others was leading the way, david bowie was seeing the changes with the people sick of the the washy glam rock chart pop music that was being put out all the time and the bandwagon bands the record companies wanted with the kids there main aim, so bowie took it on himself to find new ways the shake it all up and say fuck you and all the fat cats at the record companies wanting main stream kids music and nothing else

many things was happening in the uk like the miners strikes and the older youths the school leavers and the teenagers was being left behind with not much future the miners strikes and 3 day weeks the uk was in a right mess and something was needed because the adults running this country was really fucking it up, and the youth was like a army just waiting for something and all they needed was a voice and something to shine like a beaker and stand out from the rest

malcolm mclaren knew all about what was happening with the underground scenes and punk's even knew bowie was a key fashion icon and him Vivienne Westwood’s just needed something to mould something into there own brand and you get the sex pistols, forget they could not really play music it was the fashion side of it that was making a statement all that was needed was a loony young mouthy person to front it all

mainstream PUNK all happened at just the right time, everything was falling into place and malcolm mclaren and the sex pistols slotted right into the gap the market was crying out for, the record companies A&R men was running around the uk looking for there own punk bands anything that was young and looked like a punk band was signed

the real truth is the real punk's scene was over before the sex pistols even started ?? and it was lead by david bowie and the Ziggy Stardust look, and underground scene was alive with punks well before the youth and the media got hold of it and turned it main stream and a fashion icon

many of the early glam rock stars like marc bolan david bowie even slade and others was leading the way, david bowie was seeing the changes with the people sick of the the washy glam rock chart pop music that was being put out all the time and the bandwagon bands the record companies wanted with the kids there main aim, so bowie took it on himself to find new ways the shake it all up and say fuck you and all the fat cats at the record companies wanting main stream kids music and nothing else

many things was happening in the uk like the miners strikes and the older youths the school leavers and the teenagers was being left behind with not much future the miners strikes and 3 day weeks the uk was in a right mess and something was needed because the adults running this country was really fucking it up, and the youth was like a army just waiting for something and all they needed was a voice and something to shine like a beaker and stand out from the rest

malcolm mclaren knew all about what was happening with the underground scenes and punk's even knew bowie was a key fashion icon and him Vivienne Westwood’s just needed something to mould something into there own brand and you get the sex pistols, forget they could not really play music it was the fashion side of it that was making a statement all that was needed was a loony young mouthy person to front it all

mainstream PUNK all happened at just the right time, everything was falling into place and malcolm mclaren and the sex pistols slotted right into the gap the market was crying out for, the record companies A&R men was running around the uk looking for there own punk bands anything that was young and looked like a punk band was signed
You’re forgetting a lot of the early punk came out of The NE of the US, New York, Detroit . The Ramones were the first band I listened to that you could tell were different from the mainstream.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.