Punk and New Wave thread.

I was just going to add similar thoughts and of course pre Ramones you had The New York Dolls leading the charge.
And Iggy Pop and the Stooges, Pattie Smith, Talking heads and Television were all bubbling away under the surface. Pistols grabbed most of the attention in the UK but they were short lived and a manufactured gimmick. The Damned were a much better band IMO and had the first UK punk single New Rose released over a month before Anarchy in the UK. The Damned are still touring nowadays and are in the far East on tour right now.

And Iggy Pop and the Stooges, Pattie Smith, Talking heads and Television were all bubbling away under the surface. Pistols grabbed most of the attention in the UK but they were short lived and a manufactured gimmick. The Damned were a much better band IMO and had the first UK punk single New Rose released over a month before Anarchy in the UK. The Damned are still touring nowadays and are in the far East on tour right now.

Have to disagree on that, I’ve said it before, the pistols were a brilliant band, well the band consisting of lydon, Jones, Matlock and cook, they became manufactured when Maclaren got rid of Matlock and in came Vicious, even Lydon fucked off as he knew what a shambles it had become, anyway back to the Damned, another brilliant band, would love to see them again if came back giggin in the uk

On Sky Arts, there are some great documentaries on there at the moment, story of the Jam, the Clash, 4 part series about the rise of Punk music, some great unseen footage of the Buzzcocks, uk subs and slaughter and the dogs

On Sky Arts, there are some great documentaries on there at the moment, story of the Jam, the Clash, 4 part series about the rise of Punk music, some great unseen footage of the Buzzcocks, uk subs and slaughter and the dogs

Thanks, I'll check those out.

Sandinista,
This might be a silly question but which album do you prefer London Calling or Sandinista ?
I hated Sandinista when it came out and after the initial listen I didn’t listen to it again for years .. moving on , I now think it’s brilliant, on a par with LC or if not better . Love the Dub tracks

A triple album was hard work at the time
Probably a great double album and a superb single disc

Sandinista,
This might be a silly question but which album do you prefer London Calling or Sandinista ?
I hated Sandinista when it came out and after the initial listen I didn’t listen to it again for years .. moving on , I now think it’s brilliant, on a par with LC or if not better . Love the Dub tracks

Hated sandinista when it was first released , though over the years it wore on me too ... London calling is THE Clash album for me , and unlike some Clash fans , I love give em enough rope too

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.