Should tactical fouls become a red card offence?

there's no catch all

you can have a promising attack on a breakaway from a defensive corner, down the wing or through the middle etc.
Yep, I always took our corners and free kicks and was under instructions to leg it for the 'D' area after striking the ball, to stop anyone trying to bring the ball out, by any means necessary.

there's no catch all

you can have a promising attack on a breakaway from a defensive corner, down the wing or through the middle etc.

A promising attack could be on a breakaway.
It could be 10 men in the penalty area parking a bus and fouling an attacker on the end of a pass.
It could be from a direct free kick.
It could be from a throw in.
it could be from a goal kick.

So essentially, any attack is a promising attach and any foul is a tactical foul. Then why the need to define a foul as a tactical foul? is it to get more debate on why a referee was right/wrong to call/not call a foul a tactical foul and punish with a yellow/red card? VAR, on the face of it, is brought into the game to reduce subjectivity and people want to bring even more of it in every area of the pitch.

A promising attack could be on a breakaway.
It could be 10 men in the penalty area parking a bus and fouling an attacker on the end of a pass.
It could be from a direct free kick.
It could be from a throw in.
it could be from a goal kick.

So essentially, any attack is a promising attach and any foul is a tactical foul. Then why the need to define a foul as a tactical foul? is it to get more debate on why a referee was right/wrong to call/not call a foul a tactical foul and punish with a yellow/red card? VAR, on the face of it, is brought into the game to reduce subjectivity and people want to bring even more of it in every area of the pitch.

as i said, it can be from any situation. obviously not every attack is 'promising'

all depends on the speed of the attack, defensive cover, position on the pitch, other attackers in support.

tactical fouls exist and we commit plenty, as do many teams. it's a recognised way of preventing the opposition breaking on you / outnumbering you when you lose the ball. depending on the above factors it could fall into 'stopping a promising attack' which would equal a yellow card. sometimes it does, sometimes it doesnt

Yep, I always took our corners and free kicks and was under instructions to leg it for the 'D' area after striking the ball, to stop anyone trying to bring the ball out, by any means necessary.

The Rodri one on Saturday, about 40 mins, was the perfect example of a tactical foul. we give the ball away, try to win it back quickly but the west ham player evades our challenges, Rodri fouls him without challenging for the ball stopping the counter. It probably bordered on stopping a promising attack.

The Rodri one on Saturday, about 40 mins, was the perfect example of a tactical foul. we give the ball away, try to win it back quickly but the west ham player evades our challenges, Rodri fouls him without challenging for the ball stopping the counter. It probably bordered on stopping a promising attack.
The trick is in stopping the attack before it develops to the 'promising' stage. You don't get booked then. Hence stepping into someone's path while swinging a foot in the direction of the ball being so popular and a better option than taking them down when they've gotten goalside.

The trick is in stopping the attack before it develops to the 'promising' stage. You don't get booked then. Hence stepping into someone's path while swinging a foot in the direction of the ball being so popular and a better option than taking them down when they've gotten goalside.

and making it look like you're going for the ball!

a pull / push / grapple foul is also more likely to draw a yellow as you're not going for the ball at all and the sole intention is clearly to stop the attack

as i said, it can be from any situation. obviously not every attack is 'promising'

Exactly my point.

[QUOTE="all depends on the speed of the attack, defensive cover, position on the pitch, other attackers in support.[/QUOTE]

So speed has to be above 10mph? 15mph? As far as i know, you can walk the ball into the net and its still a promising attack. Moreover, only one person can go from one half to the other and score a goal so you don't need other attackers for an attack to promising. I am being extreme here using these examples and i know that. I also understand your point but you are missing my point that you cannot create rules/laws to punish a subjective event where everyone's opinion could differ. Governing bodies are already trying to remove/reduce the subjectivity so why ask for something that will cause even bigger problems.

Exactly my point.

[QUOTE="all depends on the speed of the attack, defensive cover, position on the pitch, other attackers in support.

So speed has to be above 10mph? 15mph? As far as i know, you can walk the ball into the net and its still a promising attack. Moreover, only one person can go from one half to the other and score a goal so you don't need other attackers for an attack to promising. I am being extreme here using these examples and i know that. I also understand your point but you are missing my point that you cannot create rules/laws to punish a subjective event where everyone's opinion could differ. Governing bodies are already trying to remove/reduce the subjectivity so why ask for something that will cause even bigger problems.[/QUOTE]

but that's football, stopping a promising attack is in the laws. application of most of the major (game impacting laws) are generally subjective and each individual referee may interpret the same incident differently, same with fouls, whether 'tactical', stopping a promising attack, or anything else.

was the contact enough for a foul or was it simulation

was the handball intentional

was that push violent conduct or adopting an aggressive attitude

was that foul an attempt to play the ball

was the foul denial of an obvious goal scoring opportunity

etc...

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.