Var debate 2019/20

Sorry if i'm a bit late

Guidelines surrounding offside decisions made by VAR will be reviewed following Manchester City's disallowed goal against West Ham. Talks will be held over whether to alter guidelines so VAR only intervenes when a clear and obvious error is made.

While the protocol is set to be studied by the IFAB and debated by its members - namely the four home nations and FIFA - any decision would likely not be made until their annual meeting in March 2020. [@TimesSport]

Did it? I've not seen any stats on that.

The problem is though that celebrations are going to be affected for more goals than were allowed or disallowed incorrectly under the old system.

The best moments of pretty much any game for the match going supporter are surely those euphoric moments when the ball hits the back of the opponents' net? Tampering with that is intensely dim IMO.
Not any more, it when VAR disallows a goal

The human brain needs only 24fps to process still frames into video.

Until AI or its successor can do the same thing it is impossible to use only the 25fps that are recorded to find an exact match for the point of impact that determines whether another person is onside or not has simply not been recorded so to use one of the frames as its datum is simply wrong. As west didsdury stated there could be a movement of 250 mm in between frames.
Measuring less than that as being on or offside is simply incorrect.

My worry is over analysis of the build up to goals.
VAR is now looking for reasons to rule out goals.
The game is definitely not better for this.
Initially I thought VAR would benefit attacking sides ( like us) but now I think the opposite.
That's a legitimate worry. They have to figure that out. Offsides, handballs and fouls in the box should all be checked. Anything else should be considered an acceptable miss within the flow of the game.

I.e. an uncalled foul at the halfway line. A throw in given to the wrong team e.t.c. errors that are not "critical" to the goal scored should not be reviewed.

But I can see how overtime, we'd hand over refereeing to technology all together :(

Even if VAR does not get involved, every time we score now I look to the ref, and wait. Is he getting a message?
l know VAR usually takes longer to rule out a goal, but I've always waited to celebrate on goals that could conceivably be ruled out for offside, to avoid the disappointment.

giphy.gif

no doubt in my mind that he goes to ignore the penalty and let west ham play on....look at his body shape, he turns and takes a step backwards.....then realises he can't because of VAR

Note richardtheref on here who is fully qualified is quite clear that the laws says that the top of the arm/shoulder is handball and that it shouldn’t have been used for the offside call.
So Balotelli scores with a handball?

Of course it is because there is no way they can allow a Liverpool or utd goal that close to be disallowed going forwards so best change it now.
Bluemoon: we need to review and change the offside law now var exists to give close decisions to the attacking team.

Officials: we are going to review the offside law now var is in place.

Bluemoon: ha! Knew it. It’s to help Liverpool and the Rags.

*christ on a stick*

At some point one assumes that they will be able to produce systems that track exactly in real time where the ball is and all the players are and thus have a system like goal line technology that can almost instantly inform the officials if a goal scorer or assister etc is onside. That may need some adjustment of the offside rule, which I believe is needed (as noted above). When we have that level of tech, it will be hard to argue against. We cannot be far off - surely it's a kind of hybrid of Opta and VAR; plus maybe AI.

I'm wondering who this Al is.

Al is ?

Al is ?

Who the fuck this AL is ?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.