Just for fun : who was our worst signing in the Premier League era ?

Not clicked the dirty link but wtf is Boateng on there, he was a very good signing, we just got shafted by the Munich rags. he hardly flopped after leaving did he!

Or as Phil Thompson said: David Silva , ya ya Toure , i’ve Never heard of them , you don’t progress with ‘b’ class players .
Or my all time favourite Charlie Nicolas : my flop of the year , Aguero , too small for the premier league .
Surely all 3 should be on the list ?

Ps And these wankers still sit there giving us the benefit of their great footballing knowledge.

Let's not forget the font of knowledge that is Paul Merson on us signing Yaya:

“The Ivorian is an average player who’s rumoured to be on £200,000 a week! Does he score goals? No. Does he create them? No. Is he an OK holding midfield player? Yeah – but De Jong, Vieira and Barry do that job already!”

There’s so many nominations before the takeover and a lot since. I can’t pick one particular, but the names that spring to mind:

Scott Sinclair
Dabo
Bony
Castillo
Bradbury
Santa Cruz
McManaman
Tal Ben-Haim
Jo
Mangala
Savic
Maicon
Vuoso
Bianchi
Corradi
dFm

Or my all time favourite Charlie Nicolas : my flop of the year , Aguero , too small for the premier league .
Was searching for this quote and came across this gem.

"Why will they win it? The Reds have four players who could grace any team in the Premier League: Pepe Reina, Steven Gerrard, Luis Suarez and Andy Carroll, then add to the mix promising youngsters like John Flanagan, new faces like Charlie Adam and Stewart Downing plus team spirit, desire and 21 years of hurt."

There is probably a difference between 'worst' and 'most disappointing'. Maybe also 'worst value'.

I'm taking PL era to mean we were in the PL too (so not signed 96-00 or 01-02)

So 'worst', as in least ability shown - maybe Laurent Charvet. Certainly on showings in a blue shirt.

Most disappointing probably McManaman, even though he was on a free. Really thought he was going to help take us to the next level. Obviously not all his fault, but he epitomised the disappointment of the fading of the KK era.

Worst value has to be Vuoso. 6 million to never even make a bench. Wow. At least RSC bagged a couple.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.