Auto Renewal - NowTv Rip off

That's like Amazon Prime. Sign up for the free trial and then instantly cancel it and you still get it for the month.

As for the "It's in the terms and conditions so you can't complain" argument, it just reminds me of the South Park episode on this topic.

Interesting.

I signed up to NowTV for the 10 month season pass, and I've made a note to cancel the day before it rolls over.

Are you saying I could cancel anytime and not have to worry about forgetting to cancel?

Exactly right.

Would you stop short of burning down their offices? If I was him, I would.
It's hard to burn down those modern offices mate, too many different redundancies in place in the fire fighting systems. Maybe bomb the place and kill 2 birds with one stone.

Some really tip top advice off here as per usual and always remember to cancel down any recurring D/D''s ..The only one I ever leave in situ is my VPN to PIA as it's critical for my anonymity on the inter-web plus by allowing the payment to run I only pay them $34 yearly. I just did a deal with my pals at Tesco HQ for their delivery saver plan and it was £3.99 a month delivery Tuesday to Thursday for a 6 month contract but they would give me 1,000 club points as well for joining in so theoretically is was £23.94 less £10 of club card points so netting at £2.32 a month or 58pence a week for up to 3 delivery's so absolute pennies. I am rambling but just wanted to say after immediately signing up I cancelled the auto renewal. All we get from Tesco is stuff on offer to further maximize the auntie as they are fairly dear on a lot of stuff. We had 4 incentive vouchers for £4 of every shop and as you have to spend £40 for home shop that equated to 10% so every week so we have been stocking up on the 950 gram packs of chicken breast at £5 so every week we have bought 8 packs for £36 and has to be the cheapest quality breast in the north west !

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/292284222

I would advice the O.P to fight his case if only to antagonize and take up their valuable time. No one ever likes to be had over for a fat lad so no surrender O.P and fight your corner well as you have consumer rights and the retailer most surely has to explain their T and C's in a user friendly fashion and to not hide within their small print. Make sure you pay a visit to the Trust-pilot to express your opinion. If I lose my own case next week then they will only have won a battle and not the war and I shall 100% be contacting watchdog and Piers Morgan but I will not roll over or dance to their merry tune. Good luck O.P and remember you've gotta Fight For Your Right ! So lets pause for a moment and show some mother fucking love to those Beastie Boys and dolls.

Last edited:
Saw some notifications from this thread and had some time spare while the mrs is out, so I've looked into this further. I've attached three screenshots below which show at least three places in which the rollover is explained on their CURRENT website - none of these are crafty or obscured, they're right there on the main purchase flow.

Below a screenshot garnered by typing nowtv.com into the Wayback Machine (brilliant little tool, unless you're the OP) - showing their website as it was approx 12 months ago. I'm sorry, but to claim the rollover aspect of the contract was buried in terms and conditions is wide of the mark. It's right there ffs - and also on multiple pages along the checkout flow.

This isn't about accepting terms and conditions and not actually reviewing them. It's about reading what's right in front of you?

Its on your credit card so raise the dispute. Don't say fraud - say you were not made aware and claim you did not give consent to the payment (the small print T&C is irrelevant).

I work in a Bank and many years back worked in the world of credit card issues like this. The card provider (bank) will refund you first and then make Now TV justify there actions. While they might have a legal case the Banks hate these sorts of issues and 1 may find in your favor as they will strongly favor the card holder and 2 will at least monitor the number of these things and pull the service from Now TV if they are causing too much trouble.

If you keep the claim honest - you were not made aware and were given no prior warning - you have nothing to fear.

Except none of the above can be done in good faith because it was made crystal clear on the Now TV website and purchase flow, and a quick trip to the Wayback Machine proves that. And that's before we even get into the terms and conditions the OP accepted but possibly didn't read.

Why is the contractual info in smaller writing at the bottom ? It's very much like the usual scurlious 50% off waffle unless you have glasses like MR Magoo and can read the up to

VYjt2V3.jpg

Play the game and put it in bold so it stands out from the crowd

It reminds me of Setanta Sports a few years ago. They used to accept annual discounted sign ups over the phone but required 60 days notice in writing (snail, not email) to cancel before the contract renewed. They later changed this so that you could cancel by phone, still giving 60 days notice, but some customers claimed that unless you cancelled exactly 60 days before (not one day sooner or later) the sub would renew. They went bust.

This isn't as bad as that but follows the trend of companies taking advantage of our laziness in reading t&c. They're all at it now, so they don't care If you bad mouth them. As judge Judy says, if you sign up to a contract, you're bound by it whether you read it or not. Suck it up if I were you but it damages commerce in my opinion - I won't bother signing up to a lot of things now because I can't be arsed negotiating their corporate doublespeak.

Just had a look and there's still a thread on moneysavingexpert about setanta. Obviously dated info (2008) but it might give you some more of an idea of the pitfalls.

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=1105281

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.