Today is the 74th anniversary of the end of the Second World War

My grandfather served in the RAF in Burma but my Great Uncle Jack was a pow of the Japanese, murdered by them when the hell ship he was on, Suez Maru, was torpedoed by the USS Bonefish. After rescuing the Japanese and Korean crew the officers decided to machine gun the pow's rather than rescue them. The war crimes trial was abandoned in 1949 as the Americans wanted the help of the Japanese in fighting the Chinese menace and those responsible were freed from jail.

Last edited:
My grandfather served in the RAF in Burma but my Great Uncle Jack was a pow of the Japanese, murdered by them when the hell ship he was on, Suez Maru, was torpedoed by the USS Bonefish. After rescuing the Japanese and Korean crew the officers decided to machine gun the pow's rather than rescue them. The war crimes trial was abandoned in 1949 as the Americans wanted the help of the Japanese in fighting the Chinese menace and those responsible were freed from jail.

There are some shocking events that have gone on in the past.

Read into the rape of Nanking what the Japanese we're capable of is beyond belief.

Thanks for the OP, the Far East was something of a forgotten conflict.

My dad served in the RAF (215 Squadron) as a flight mechanic, based initially in eastern India and then supporting the later push into Burma. He never spoke too much about the war except for describing the time that they were flying a new bomber to their base and the engines gave out at 10,000 feet! Luckily they were able to bail out and land on the right side of the front line. I've still got his Service and Release book, he was de-mobbed on 6th June 1946.

Coincidentally, also serving in 215 Squadron was George McCabe who went on to referee City's 1969 FA Cup Final win.

Remember growing up how even the thought of buying Japanese electrical products appalled family members. Even if those returning never opened up on the psychological torture they’d experienced, their physical condition couldn’t disguise what they’d undergone.

Today VAR would review it.
(Actually many of the heroic and necessary actions by Allied soldiers, airmen etc in that war including some mentioned in this thread already have been "reviewed" as history gets rewritten to adjust to 21st century notions of political correctness.)

Remember growing up how even the thought of buying Japanese electrical products appalled family members. Even if those returning never opened up on the psychological torture they’d experienced, their physical condition couldn’t disguise what they’d undergone.
February 1944, my father’s unit was involved in a fierce defensive action known as the Battle of Admin Box. They beat off Japanese attacks for over 2 weeks and, crucially, held the allied line in central Burma. The first night of attacks, the Japanese bayoneted and shot 35 patients in their bunks and unarmed medical staff in a field hospital on the perimeter of the box. He told us that was all the motivation they needed for the rest of the war.

Today VAR would review it.
(Actually many of the heroic and necessary actions by Allied soldiers, airmen etc in that war including some mentioned in this thread already have been "reviewed" as history gets rewritten to adjust to 21st century notions of political correctness.)

If it was reviewed they would give it as a USSR win and a loss for the rest of europe.

My uncle Harry was a Chindit taken prisoner by the Japs, he survived but could never speak of what he and his comrades endured.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.