Spurs (h) pre-match thread

Spurs (h) prediction

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
In short, the point I am making is that Spurs will come to your place believing they can win, believing they are as good as players as the City players and are as good as a team. They will believe they are fitter. They will believe that they are a lucky team, they will believe that the opposition think they are dirty team, and the opposition fear that they will cheat. And that will make the opposition uncomfortable. Whether that confidence and those beliefs are justified is, I accept, a matter for debate.

But it really isn't open to debate. At least not amongst anyone other that completely and utterly deluded Spurs fans.

Ask 100 players, supporters, analysts, commentatirs and former players and not 1 of them would agree this is open to debate. 100 of them would say Spurs are an interior side with (in the main) inferior players.

So at best, you are suggesting your players are deluded. I am sure they are not all as deluded as you are.

Bernardo had a slight injury concern against West Ham, so if fully fit can see him replacing Merlin. Pep may bring Kun back in at the expense of Gabby, apart from that same side as last week. Difficult game and we need a fast tempo from the start, let's hope VAR is on our side on Saturday.

Gabby should be starting, he did more than enough against West Ham and he will run the spurs back like ragged.... the important decision is centrally, just hoping fern is ready as he’ll be the difference

Hmmm. You overstate this.

Over the years, I have seen many matches between City and Spurs where Spurs have outplayed City. And indeed vice versa.

To say that we can never outplay you is, at best, over exuberant.
It's the other way around. I don't rule out Spurs getting a result, but you aren't going to come here and run the game as you suggested Spurs would aim to do. Poch will have a game-plan, but I'd be amazed if it's expansive.

Well it is feels like that but that was not the intention. It developed into a rather esoteric discussion about the mindset of top sportsman and Deli Alli in particular.

In short, the point I am making is that Spurs will come to your place believing they can win, believing they are as good as players as the City players and are as good as a team. They will believe they are fitter. They will believe that they are a lucky team, they will believe that the opposition think they are dirty team, and the opposition fear that they will cheat. And that will make the opposition uncomfortable. Whether that confidence and those beliefs are justified is, I accept, a matter for debate.

They will have a plan which will not be to sit deep, hope for the best, hit the ball long and get a flukey goal on the break, it will be that they will want to dominate physically, in possession and in territory. They will trust the system. And that will be how they win, In particular they might target Rodri and/or Fernandinho. Sissoko and Ndombele will feel that they are more physical and could overwhelm them.

Will it work? Who knows? We might still lose 5-0 again. But this time I think there is a change in mindset and a genuine belief we could win. And deserve to win.

And for the record - I acknowledge that last year you won lots of trophies and had lots more points than Spurs.
We met four times I think last season and you won once. Kane scoring a couple of tap ins recently should guarantee he is selected ahead of your better players so we should be OK.

Yes, but Spurs are one of only two domestic sides who will come to your place and genuinely #believe they can win.
When the fixtures came out City and their supporters looked at this game and said "ok, Tottenham at home, we have to beat them sometime during the season, let's do it early." Spurs and their fans looked at it and said "oh bugger." You know it's true.

When the fixtures came out City and their supporters looked at this game and said "ok, Tottenham at home, we have to beat them sometime during the season, let's do it early." Spurs and their fans looked at it and said "oh bugger." You know it's true.

Shouldn’t that be ‘our fans’ rather than ‘their supporters’ (:

But it really isn't open to debate. At least not amongst anyone other that completely and utterly deluded Spurs fans.

Ask 100 players, supporters, analysts, commentatirs and former players and not 1 of them would agree this is open to debate. 100 of them would say Spurs are an interior side with (in the main) inferior players.

So at best, you are suggesting your players are deluded. I am sure they are not all as deluded as you are.

Really?

So when Lawro, the fuck-wit Jim White and 100 of his mates say we can't win, that's it? And my differing opinion makes me and anyone else (including, I hope, everyone at Spurs) deluded?

I appreciate City have every right to be confident but dismissing Spurs as having no chance in 100 is... err.. quite surprising.

Really?

So when Lawro, the fuck-wit Jim White and 100 of his mates say we can't win, that's it? And my differing opinion makes me and anyone else (including, I hope, everyone at Spurs) deluded?

I appreciate City have every right to be confident but dismissing Spurs as having no chance in 100 is... err.. quite surprising.

100 people saying City are better is not the same as spurs having no chance in 100.

I don’t bet on football but i’d guess spurs would win 1 in about 10 against this City side.

Spurs won at our place in the season Leicester were champions. That’s not so far back. They nicked a draw in Pep’s first season (courtesy of Kyle pushing Raz over when he was clean through, not blaming Kyle by the way, he was just doing his job as a last ditch defender, it’s the linos and the ref who didn’t see something that the entire stadium, including Spurs fans and their players, saw).
So yes, it can happen. By God, it can even happen to the likes of Crystal Palace! But by every objective measure, it’s highly unlikely. Spurs fans have every right to hope, you can always hope against hope, and it would be strange if their players turned up thinking they were already beaten. But man for man, we’re a better team in almost every area of the park. And the results speak for themselves. I’d take Son from their crew, because I really rate him. Also Eriksen, who’s a fine midfielder (but he’s probably on his way, anyway). That’s about it.
And now, a detail. It so happens that I had to take the train down to Euston after the second-mentioned match. I was in a carriage full of Spurs fans, and by God, were they gobby! I quite often have to take that train after matches, I’ve been down surrounded by Chelsea fans, Arsenal fans, other Londoners etc. No problem. You can even have a decent talk about the match with some of them. But for sheer gobbiness, Spurs fans left them standing in the shade. I put them second only to the dippers. Anecdotal? Sure. One man’s experience? Undeniably. Oh and just for the road — when I got up at Euston to get my stuff, somebody had nicked my City beanie off the rack and scarpered. Presumably as some sort of “trophy” from the enemy. As I say, it was a carriage full of Spurs fans. I mean, how petty can you get...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.