Punk and New Wave thread.

Kiss are hugely underrated musically and are still packing them into arenas around the world. They were brilliant when I paid homage for the last time in Brum last month even the Guardian gave them a good review!

Different gravy :-)
Kiss and Areosmith - recall reading a book on the New York Dolls who spent a few years getting nowhere and being called faggots and everything else thrown at them for being blokes in drag..... They said they took all the shit and got nowhere, paving the way for it to be acceptable for Kiss, Areosmith and Alice Cooper to come along and make it big.

Punk was mostly crap.

The Clash soon became something other than punk.

The Sex Pistols were really a metal band and deep down wanted to be Led Zep, just like every other rock band of the day. I swear I read an article where, many years after their original demise, Mr Rotten admitted it but best I can find is:

JL answer to Classic Rock:
I remember waiting in the bar for you to come on during the Album tour, hearing Led Zeppelin’s Kashmir coming over the PA, and thinking the DJ was having some kind of breakdown, but it turned out to be the first song in PiL’s set. Quite an audacious move.

Yeah, I know. I was supposed to run on and do the Robert Plant bit, but no, I can’t [laughs]. I mean, we’d rehearsed it, but it never, ever felt right to [do it]. I thought I’d be standing in someone else’s shoes at that point, but it was a good homage to a band that we do love. Although, yes, I’ve never mentioned Zeppelin very much, Physical Graffiti is one of my favourite albums. The sheer terror and ferocity of it… beautiful landscaping.

Steve Jones in Rolling Stone:
You wrote that something that bugged you about punk is how it seemed like you weren’t supposed to want money or enjoy success. Where do you think that came from so early?
Well it came from all the other punk bands at the time, the Clash, with the lyrics. There were all these other bands saying, “We’re not like all the rock stars that drive around in Rolls Royces and live in mansions.” It’s not like we were going to do that, but it we didn’t want to be broke either. Who wants to be broke? It was a stupid thing. I don’t want to live in some bloody squat. None of us did. I think I speak for all of us when I say we wanted to make dough like anybody else, and we deserved to make dough.

So I don’t know where all that started. It was other bands thinking that’s what it was about. It was a different vibe from Led Zeppelin, it was a different thing. But apart from the money, there’s no difference between Led Zeppelin and the Sex Pistols. It’s the same personality: There’s the crazy one, the one who don’t like that one, and they do outrageous things. There’s no difference.
Of course punk was a cousin of heavy metal only with 3 minute songs not 11 minute songs containing 3 minute guitar solos and the lyrics tended to be more about social issues rather than about wizards or shagging birds in elevators.....
As for the money well why not.... You can't just throw that one at punk.... How many millions do the Stone Roses and the Gallaghers have between them?

Looks like a WWE event, you can’t be serious calling Punk crap and then loving this shit. However it’s your POV and there is no wrong or right.

Yep it's all about your personal taste. And I didn't say Punk was crap; just mostly. I have Punk music in my collection but not a lot.

You may think Kiss are shit but shit rock bands just don't get as big as Kiss and sustain it for so many years.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.