Today is the 74th anniversary of the end of the Second World War

Always amazes/fascinates /horrifies me that only two decades after the great war we as a nation were prepared to do it again and sacrifice another generation - essentially the kids of the survivors of 1914-18.

There's a quote by the French general called Foch, who when he saw the Treaty of Versailles suggested that "this isn't a peace treaty but instead a 20 year armistice".

War kicked off 21 years after his quote. Many historians are now seriously examining that period as a single large war with an armistice in between rather than two separate ones, in order to better understand the conditions that led to the rise of Nazi Germany.

Last week I was watching a programme on the telly it was quite horrific really but most interesting and eye opening. It covered China fighting against the Japanese army and the invasion of China in the 1930's. In particular the Marco Polo Bridge Incident which some claim was the start of WWII in Asia, the Battle of Shanghai in 1937 and the most horrific was the battle of Nanjing and the resulting massacre.

I went down to Portsmouth Historic docks earlier this year and went over to the submarine museum in Gosport.

When I was over there I got talking a fair bit to an old boy who was in great touch for his grand old age of 80. He was saying the film Das Boot was an absolute must watch and tonight after years of owning it I've finally watched it. Great film I didn't believe a film that was over three hours in length could keep me so tense.

I've just realised this evening that him being 80 means he was alive when the events of Das Boot took place and even before World War 2 even begun..

It makes you realize that WW2 isn't ancient history and it really wasn't that long ago. I just hope we never have to repeat those awful events again on a world wide scale.

I went down to Portsmouth Historic docks earlier this year and went over to the submarine museum in Gosport.

When I was over there I got talking a fair bit to an old boy who was in great touch for his grand old age of 80. He was saying the film Das Boot was an absolute must watch and tonight after years of owning it I've finally watched it. Great film I didn't believe a film that was over three hours in length could keep me so tense.

I've just realised this evening that him being 80 means he was alive when the events of Das Boot took place and even before World War 2 even begun.. It makes you realize that WW2 isn't ancient history and it really wasn't that long ago. I just hope we never have to repeat those awful events again on a world wide scale.

If any one has not seen Das Boot then I highly recommend the watch and written by wolfang peternson and I have to say one of the finest films to have ever have graced our screens .Subtitled but it does not in any way hinder the viewing of the crew of U96 on her seventh patrol in the battle of the antlantic. Aside from that hitler youth officer a braver bunch of souls you could not wish to fight alongside and I salute their indefatigablity. I worked for a while in the submarine escape tanks at Dolphin and based at Vernon and if I had my time again would have without hesitation volunteered for the Silent Service. The soundtrack by claus dolinger is nothing short of superlative totally immersing the end user and the main track das boot a massive world wide success..

Any fighter plane experts here ?

How different were the Spitfire and the Hurricane ...were they similar armed but one was faster than the other ?
This may be of some help.

"They were very different fighters designed in the mid 1930s by two different companies with two very different design philosophies.

Both were initially powered by the same engine, both were armed with 8 .303 machine guns.

The Hurricane was an evolutionary design that was called by the designers a "Fury monoplane" the Fury being the manufacturers in production biplane fighter for the RAF. The Spitfire was a completely new design that owed it's design inspiration to a series for racing planes built by it's manufacture.

The Hurricane originally used much the same manufacturing techniques used in the biplane predecessors. This includes fabric covering of wooden supports in the rear fuselage aft of the cockpit and initially, fabric covered wings. The fabric covered wings were relatively soon replaced by metal wings. The Spitfire used the latest stressed skin production techniques throughout. Ironically, when the war started, the "older" construction techniques used by the Hurricane proved to be something of an advantage since damage could be repaired at the airfield that the more modern Spitfire needed to be shipped to repair centers for.

Both aircraft were relatively short ranged which proved to be a problem as early as Dunkirk where neither fighter had the endurance to remain over the evacuation area for long. This also proved a problem when covering convoys in the English Channel and later in the Battle of Britain when the Germany bombers came mostly at night and Luftwaffe fighters were used for daylight harassment raids.

After the Battle of Britain, the Spitfire continued in production through the war and beyond and continued to be a front line fighter for the rest of the war due to continuing improvement in engine and armament. Its short range was always a problem in offensive operations. The Hurricane was found inadequate for daytime offensive fighter operations and was modified for use as a night fighter and fighter bomber. Hurricane production ended in 1944.

Both aircraft played vital roles in the war.

Ironically, it was the Hurricane that was credited with the most kills of a British produced fighter in the war."

Extracted from a website called Quora.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.