Punk and New Wave thread.

Yep it's all about your personal taste. And I didn't say Punk was crap; just mostly. I have Punk music in my collection but not a lot.

You may think Kiss are shit but shit rock bands just don't get as big as Kiss and sustain it for so many years.
Fair play

Reactions: OB1
Fair play

TBH, calling it crap was a bit extreme but I was baiting BMR :-). In fact, I find it tiresome for people to call music they don't like shit; that's not to say I don't think quality varies immensely, including within genres I enjoy.

That said, I don't think the British Punk movement of the mid 70's left us with lots of great punk music. What amuses me most to this day is that all the dinosaur bands it supposedly despised and was going to see the back of generally endured. But then I loved those rock behemoths and still do.

Punk is alive and kicking.
I never got to see any of the greats live - I was probably too young but I was buying singles (remember those) and Rattus Norvegicus was the second LP I ever brought.
Today, I play in a covers band called The Broadmoor Sirens and we play late 70s Punk, New Wave and Ska - all the big artists
We've been playing pubs and clubs in and around Reading (sorry) for just over a year now and we are going down a storm. Re-booked at 99% of venues.
People of a certain age love this music. Even if they didn't like it originally the test of time proves that good songs are good songs.
I get receiving applause for The Jam, Sex Pistols, Buzzcocks, Police, Clash, Ramones, Sham 69, Undertones, Blockheads, Specials, but never thought I'd see it for 999, Magazine, PIL, UK Subs, The Ruts, Joe Jackson, etc
The common denominators in these these genres of music were attitude and simplicity - and we all like a bit of that. Long may it continue.

Btw C'mon City!

Was in hmv yesterday and they were playing new album by the Murder Capital, described as "post punk" when I read up. Anyway they sounded good.

TBH, calling it crap was a bit extreme but I was baiting BMR :-). In fact, I find it tiresome for people to call music they don't like shit; that's not to say I don't think quality varies immensely, including within genres I enjoy.

That said, I don't think the British Punk movement of the mid 70's left us with lots of great punk music. What amuses me most to this day is that all the dinosaur bands it supposedly despised and was going to see the back of generally endured. But then I loved those rock behemoths and still do.
I’m with you, I like loads of different music and still listen to the likes of Slade, (I know, Gam Rock), Deep Purple, Rainbow, Led Zeppelin, The Who, Sensational Alex Harvey Band, Nazareth and Hendrix, these were the artists of my teenager years and evoke some great memories, apart from it being a time when City were almost every season absolute dog shit!

I never got to see any of the greats live - I was probably too young but I was buying singles (remember those) and Rattus Norvegicus was the second LP I ever brought.
Today, I play in a covers band called The Broadmoor Sirens and we play late 70s Punk, New Wave and Ska - all the big artists
We've been playing pubs and clubs in and around Reading (sorry) for just over a year now and we are going down a storm. Re-booked at 99% of venues.
People of a certain age love this music. Even if they didn't like it originally the test of time proves that good songs are good songs.
I get receiving applause for The Jam, Sex Pistols, Buzzcocks, Police, Clash, Ramones, Sham 69, Undertones, Blockheads, Specials, but never thought I'd see it for 999, Magazine, PIL, UK Subs, The Ruts, Joe Jackson, etc
The common denominators in these these genres of music were attitude and simplicity - and we all like a bit of that. Long may it continue.

Btw C'mon

Btw C'mon City!

Great shout , good to see Joe Jackson getting a mention !

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.