Spurs (H) Post Match Thread

It's a not a knee-jerk comment, I really don't feel like watching the Bournemouth game now. It feels daft to watch it, when you can check the result after, then Wath the highlights.

If that had gone the other way, I'd feel sorry for Spurs fans and sti dame the same thing.... Football has turned to shit! The pure ecstacy of a late winner going in has now been quelled.

I genuinely have no desire to go Bournemouth next week now. I was at West Ham last week where the Sterling offside ruined the celebrations for the next goals even when VAR benefited us. Today I didn’t celebrate until after a few seconds.
I know it sounds daft but there’s more to football than seeing correct decisions. If I just wanted to see correct decisions then I’d stay and watch it at home. VAR just leaves me numb. Pre var if you got a decision it was a joy and if it went against you you’d have a moan and wait for MOTD to see if it was right or not. Everytime there’s a goal I don’t want to just stand soullessly until a man 100s miles away decides the outcome.

That’s it summed up. I go to the game as an escape from technology. It’s shite. Absolutely shite.

Isn't the purpose of VAR to correct the decisions when the ref makes the wrong call?

No

1. It checks all goals (regardless of situation)
2. Offsides -
3. Clear and obvious mistakes - and this is where fans are going to clash with other fans and VAR as we all have a different view on what is a foul or not - in this case the ref (Nor the VAR officials) belive it was a foul - 56000 fans thought it was (including me) but its not about what we think...

I genuinely have no desire to go Bournemouth next week now. I was at West Ham last week where the Sterling offside ruined the celebrations for the next goals even when VAR benefited us. Today I didn’t celebrate until after a few seconds.
I know it sounds daft but there’s more to football than seeing correct decisions. If I just wanted to see correct decisions then I’d stay and watch it at home. VAR just leaves me numb. Pre var if you got a decision it was a joy and if it went against you you’d have a moan and wait for MOTD to see if it was right or not. Everytime there’s a goal I don’t want to just stand soullessly until a man 100s miles away decides the outcome.
Can I take your Bournemouth ticket then pal? Lol

People can moan about VAR all they want but at the end of the day the dropped points are on us and nobody else. We were superb in every aspect of our game except for the finishing. Dominated them for the entire 90 minutes, created plenty of good chances too not just possession for the sake of it but didn’t take them. If you don’t take your chances, you run the risk of getting punished and that’s what happened today and will continue to happen until we improve in that regard. Harsh lesson learned. Ignoring the result, one thing to take away from that is spurs are our 2nd closest rivals and by some distance too yet they’re probably closer to the relegation sides in quality than us.

A draw against one of our closest rivals isn’t a complete disaster with it being so early on. The wins against the rivals are generally what gets you titles but 2nd game of the season, not losing is acceptable. We’ve got nobody else in the top 6 now until Liverpool and then a brutal 2 months to follow so there’s no leeway, start taking our chances and maximum points until then. I expect us to put in a few cricket scores in the next few weeks.

Moving away from the VAR debate and back to our play, I thought we played extremely well, but there are certainly areas that require work and improvement.

In the second-half, I thought we lost a bit of shape and purpose with the substitutions and it took too long for the players to gel again. That is something that can be and needs to be worked on in training.

I think Zinchenko needs to work on exploiting the space before him when he is 1 v 1 with the opposition fullback. There were a couple of occasions, before he pulled up, when he had his man exposed but chose the safer option (backwards or inside). He needs to be more confident about taking the man down the line or into the box even if it is simply to tire the opponent.

Similarly, Sterling/Jesus and especially Mahrez need to be more direct when they have been left exposed with one man to beat. VAR is going to play a part in goals, and I’d like to see us going at players in the box and making them challenge. Will we get all decisions? No. But by doing so we increase the likelihood of a penalty being given.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.