Var debate 2019/20

sterling one cm offside - goal disallowed, extremely harsh officiating.

ball grazes one of laporte's arm hairs - goal disallowed, extremely harsh officiating.

lamela neck-wrestles rodri to the ground - penalty not given, extremely lax officiating.

this sort of ludicrous inconsistency will go against us all season, just like it did last year.

And so taking that into consideration, why is the technology they're currently using so grossly poor and inadequate?

Microsoft Paint lines. Blurred images. Shots from only one angle. This is a billion dollar competition. Have they not invested the resouces to legitimately back this thing up, or is there something that us fans are missing?

I follow the NRL in Australia and the technology used in their VAR equivalent absolutely shits all over what I'm seeing now, and that's a comp that earns less revenue that single teams in the EPL
Am sure they have various angles. The are just showing the one that vindicates their decision. Biased fuckers

It's amazing how pundits and fans of other clubs could see the clear penalty in the first half yet the ref and the tosser behind VAR missed it. They are starting to become so obvious now that fans of other clubs are starting to pick up on it.

Wait for it......... they say it can’t be used for keepers off the line at a penalty because the tech isn’t there to do it.

Yes I know, fucking laughable.
I think it's because they know that parts of the game rely, and always have done, on a flexible interpretation of the rules. But VAR removes any flexibility from the rules, it's black or white. If you actually enforce the rule that the keeper has to keep both feet on his line (and they tried to do it about 10 years ago), it basically makes it almost impossible for the keeper to save it. So you give them a bit of flexibility to step a bit forward in the process of diving, but pull them up if they take the piss. VAR ruins your ability to do that because as soon as people look at the replay, it's clear the keeper is off his line, and ask why it wasn't pulled up. So instead they just say that it's not going to be used for that purpose.

But with handball, we've got the opposite problem of a fairly nuanced area being shoehorned into a binary interpretation. It seems to me that some 'confusion' around the handball rule has been manufactured in the past year or so to justify this rule change where intent has been removed from the handball rule. And the reason for that is that intent can't be judged by VAR, without the referee having to go over and rewatch the footage. So it's easier to just say that any handball in the lead up to a goal will disallow the goal, no matter how innocuous and accidental it is, and any handball potentially preventing a goal leads to a penalty. Basically, we've got a situation where instead of VAR being used to enforce the existing rules, the rules are being changed to fit in with VAR. I have absolutely no problem with VAR in principle, but like the offside call the other day, now they've got it, they're trying to create this situation where it's some all-knowing, infallible piece of technology instead of admitting that there can still be doubts. The handball rule should have remained the same with VAR only overturning clear and obvious mistakes like they supposedly do with penalties, and like they should do with offsides.

They will probably keep the “every goal is checked by VAR” rule and simply ADD two challenges. Rodri foul would have definitely been a challenge, but I STILL think the VAR refs wouldn’t have given it, because they’re not going to overturn the refs decision UNLESS IT IS SO OBVIOUS IT WOULD BE SEEN AS BENT.

FWIW, feels like we are rapidly approaching that point with the “armpit offside” call, where a big fat 3D dashed line gives a 1 mm offside call. Sheer stupidity, especially because it is when you freeze frame the play that matters, and no one seems to be able to get close enough to the actual pass to be able to see when the pass is actually made!

Is it when he touches it? When it moves forward? Or when it leaves his foot? When an attacker is in the move, there is no way to say he is a few millimeters offside when you have no idea when the ball is actually PASSED to him!
From where I was it was obvious to everyone in the stadium apart from that dick Oliver, and obviously the fuckers doing the VAR. May be should go to spec savers
Biased twats

Is anybody keeping tabs of the decisions against us and the rest of the “big six” would be interesting to see how it works out come the end of the season.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.