Var debate 2019/20

Must admit it was hard to take in the moment but now having calmed down and having time to review the decision it was a clear and obvious handball and we should all be thankful we play in such a wonderful league which can make use of such ground breaking and advanced technology

I'm sorry i just had to :P

I’m fed up hearing all these ‘we’ve had a meeting with the VAR representatives’ comments as if those demonstration sessions covered all the areas we would see over the course of the season. The important point today is not the disallowed goal. We know that all goals will be checked and that any hand ball in the lead up to a goal will lead to it being ruled out. What we were less sure about until today was the degree to which a referee’s call in penalty decisions would be influenced by VAR. As far as I can see, they will have to back the referee’s decision on the pitch and not intervene. It will be extremely difficult for VAR to intervene henceforth and recommend a penalty for a defender pulling down an attacker at a corner when the referee has not given it. The benchmark is set with each game and with each decision/non-decision, but the anger is only going to rise if they start making decisions that blatantly contradict previous decisions, something which will become increasingly important when it decides where points and titles ultimately go. The next few weeks should see greater consistency, but I won’t be holding my breath.

At least the future of the game will be clearer with VAR ,but to be fair the Premier league should inform all supporters which team is going to win the title before a ball is kicked , the Rags or Dippers , the amount of worldwide plastic fans will quadruple in no time at all and the £££££ will be rolling in.

It’s ironic that it’s us that seems to be getting the worst of the very marginal decisions. We were all in favour of it when we thought it would stop farces like the Milner 2 yard offside, the Salah dives and the blatantly wrong decisions in our CL QF against the dippers. Now that we’ve got it it’s like Frankenstein’s monster that’s now off the leash. We should have been careful what we wished for.

I would be more than happy for VAR to be applied where it needs to be applied - that is where you might need a second look at something to make sure that what happened either delivers a goal or spots an infringement. But it seems that with only two games gone and a handful of CL games last season to go on, the system is being manipulated and operated in a most egregious manner where I am beginning to think that the VAR acronym is actually the first three letters of VARIABLE!

Should have been a decent application, but it's way to murky and open to manipulation.
Everything should be reviewed in real time not slowed down to the nth degree that way they make a decision same way as the officials on the field, come to think of it maybe best to leave it to the officials on the pitch.

VAR backed the decision on the Rodri penalty and went against his decision for Jesus's goal , Oliver should have been requested to look at both decisions himself on the screen in the ground , they were big decisions and needed clarifying by the ref.

I’m fed up hearing all these ‘we’ve had a meeting with the VAR representatives’ comments as if those demonstration sessions covered all the areas we would see over the course of the season. The important point today is not the disallowed goal. We know that all goals will be checked and that any hand ball in the lead up to a goal will lead to it being ruled out. What we were less sure about until today was the degree to which a referee’s call in penalty decisions would be influenced by VAR. As far as I can see, they will have to back the referee’s decision on the pitch and not intervene. It will be extremely difficult for VAR to intervene henceforth and recommend a penalty for a defender pulling down an attacker at a corner when the referee has not given it. The benchmark is set with each game and with each decision/non-decision, but the anger is only going to rise if they start making decisions that blatantly contradict previous decisions, something which will become increasingly important when it decides where points and titles ultimately go. The next few weeks should see greater consistency, but I won’t be holding my breath.

I think I am too cynical to see this as being something that will benefit teams league wide.

Everything should be reviewed in real time not slowed down to the nth degree that way they make a decision same way as the officials on the field, come to think of it maybe best to leave it to the officials on the pitch.
That’s a fair point. If there are some VAR officials watching the match in real time from a few angles and they immediately flagged to the ref if they saw something it might be ok but forensically scrutinising incidents over the next minute is just ridiculous.

I think I am too cynical to see this as being something that will benefit teams league wide.

I think we will be more effected simply by dint of the number of attacks we have.

Guardiola has already mentioned ‘consistency’ after 3 games, as he can cite from our own experiences and that of others, and it’s only going to get more contentious with games and decisions.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.