I'm not paranoid but, how smart are smartphones?

Last month my mate mentioned a product to me whilst my phone was in the other room out of earshot but his phone was in his pocket. An hour later this product popped up on my Facebook timeline.

It was Heineken 0% alcohol as well so whoever is behind this hasn’t got a fucking clue about targeting their product!

Hmm, I read a post on a forum about zero percent beer, then bang, same Heineken ad!

You lot moan if the cops want to tap phones/facial recognition etc even though they only do it for drug dealers and other serious crimes and therefore they don't monitor you and yet you don't seem to be arsed when private companies listen to everything you do, monitor where you are, what you are doing etc. You happily Instagram everything without thinking where it is being used, adverts are nothing compared to what they do use it for.

Best one was that face app doing the rounds the other month that aged you.

A security expert checked it out and the terms basically suggested all pictures were giving permission to use. So basically mining face pictures for a massive facial rec database!

Opportunist hacker. Probably a virus on your phone which allows remote access. The timing of the hack will be based on your pattern of use.

Turning off your WiFi and Bluetooth when you're not using your phone reduces the risk.

Cheers bud. I’m more Basildon Bond than James Bond so I was wondering what the bleeding Russians wanted me for. ;-)

Oh shit...

The Mrs was sitting on the sofa using her iPad. She got an email in to her account for a deal on a hotel room in London.
We had a chat and she booked.
I then open Bluemoon on my iPad and scrolling across the top is...

An ad for that hotel deal...!

Seen a comment on here where the phone was out of ear shot. Really creepy stuff. Many of us are creatures of habit and last week I received an advert that I can only put down to the possibility that they know our movements. Basically I went to the pub with the other half and left my phone at home. Never take my phone to the pub as I don't need it. While outside having a chat with some bloke who teaches riding motorbikes I mentioned the school I passes the bike test with. Don't know his name and vise versa. Following day the said bike school came down on my Facebook. Surely they aren't listening to people via other phones are they? It is odds on I'm out as my phone wasn't being used and if I'm out it is odds on where I am, as my partner took her phone. My other half was inside the pub while this conversation was talking place.

Seen a comment on here where the phone was out of ear shot. Really creepy stuff. Many of us are creatures of habit and last week I received an advert that I can only put down to the possibility that they know our movements. Basically I went to the pub with the other half and left my phone at home. Never take my phone to the pub as I don't need it. While outside having a chat with some bloke who teaches riding motorbikes I mentioned the school I passes the bike test with. Don't know his name and vise versa. Following day the said bike school came down on my Facebook. Surely they aren't listening to people via other phones are they? It is odds on I'm out as my phone wasn't being used and if I'm out it is odds on where I am, as my partner took her phone. My other half was inside the pub while this conversation was talking place.
Was that my comment? My idea is that my mate’s phone picked up the conversation about the product and then because both phones were in the same location (and we’re friends on Facebook) it put the add on my Facebook

On holiday in Spain at the moment and the kids were chatting in the back of the car about something yesterday (cant remember what) but I had an ad for it on bm almost immediately afterwards. Thought it was weird at the time.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.