Var debate 2019/20

Am I missing something here or do these rules state that our goal shouldn't have been ruled out?
• the ball goes into the goal after touching an attacking player’s hand/arm - a goal directly from a handball Llorente style?

• a player gains control/possession of the ball after it has touches their hand/arm and then scores, or creates a goal-scoring opportunity - Laporte never gained control/possesion of the ball

• the ball touches a player’s hand/arm which has made their body unnaturally bigger
• the ball touches a player’s hand/arm when it is above their shoulder (unless the player has deliberately played the ball which then touches their hand/arm) - neither are applicable

Does anybidy even know the handball rules anymore? It's all so vague at the moment it's frankly ridiculous.
As was said earlier in the thread, there is one rule for the defender and one for the attacker (in the box that is). As I understand it, the following double standards apply:

It was chalked off by the anonymous VAR official sitting in London because it accidentally grazed Laporte’s arm. That’s because any handball by an attacking player, accidental or not, leading to a goal is disallowed. However, let’s say the ball accidentally hits the Tottenham players arm. It would not be a penalty unless the ball hit the defenders arm in an unnatural position. This rule favours the defender.

So there is a blanket rule against the attacking team, but discretion for the defending team! That’s ludicrous.

Having said that, photos show Laportes arm was pulled into that position by the defender, so the placement of his arm was due to the pull by the defender!

I think It's far easier to sit at home watching it on TV. At least you can go and get a beer out of the fridge and light a cig when you realise it's not a goal. If you're really angry you can boot the TV screen in! Bit drastic I suppose, but I was watching the game live only 20m or so from spurs fans going mental a minute after we'd gone mental, then taunting us. I think It's only a matter of time before it kicks off bigtime in the stadium and streets. And The English FA with this bullshit VAR bollocks will only have themselves to blame.

I was disgusted after the lack of VAR review for Rodri’s penalty, and anticipated the game won’t end well. VAR (when applied or not applied) spoiled a Saturday of football I was looking for. I will never warm up to a technology run by hiding humans who make major decisions affecting a popular sport already hampered by corruption. Fuck it, this VAR nightmare must come to an end.

As previously posted...

Courtesy of Public Enemy....

So get up get, get get down
V-A-R is a joke in yo town
Get up, get, get, get down
Fake V-A-R steals the real crown…

I was disgusted after the lack of VAR review for Rodri’s penalty, and anticipated the game won’t end well. VAR (when applied or not applied) spoiled a Saturday of football I was looking for. I will never warm up to a technology run by hiding humans who make major decisions affecting a popular sport already hampered by corruption. Fuck it, this VAR nightmare must come to an end.
Agreed mate. Lots of frustrated blues posting on here post game. I understand the frustrations, I was furious after having a goal ruled out. Couldn't really comment on Rodri's pen till I got home and saw it on TV. Stonewall pen IMO.

We need to stand together on this hence me starting a song needed thread about VAR. I hope once match going supporters have calmed sown, they reconsider walking away and selling SCs. We've been through far worse than this together.

Stick with it blues.

Two things need to happen. This ludicrous handball rule needs to be used in the correct way, the way it's always been used. If it goes into the goal by use of the arm, as in Sergio's against Arsenal last season it's disallowed. If a player deliberately controls it with his hand and assists or scores it's disallowed. Yesterday Laporte goes to head the ball and one arm is pulled. Yes it hit his arm but he knew nothing about it and it falls behind him. Jesus then still has a lot to do and a load of bodies in front of him to score. It should stand, Wolves goal last week should stand. Rodri is wrestled to the ground and that t*** Oliver either misses it or chooses not to give it. Everyone watching and commentating thought it was a penalty. THAT is what var was brought in for it should be a penalty. The offside law also should change to daylight between the attacker and defender, not an armpit, a nose or big toe. Unless they sort this shit out they can poke their football.

Not read the whole thread, so apologies if I’m repeating a common sentiment here, but...

I like the concept of VAR but the implementation is utter bullshit. There is absolutely no need to review every goal -
make it like it is in Rugby League, if the ref has doubt he can ask for it to be reviewed. I also wouldn’t be opposed to a limited manager challenge. I don’t believe the ref had any concerns over our goals last week, or this.

Reviewing every goal is already meaning the explosion of emotion that comes with a goal is becoming muted, and that will truly ruin the game.

That, coupled with the stupid new handball rule, and the ridiculous claim that offside is ‘black and white’ while some random tech guy is drawing lines on a blurry image and deciding the moment the ball was ‘struck’ without any kind of verification has us verging on clusterfuck.

Also, we’ve got into a situation where we’re trying to find miniscule reasons to rule out a goal - isn’t this supposed to be entertainment ffs?

As was said earlier in the thread, there is one rule for the defender and one for the attacker (in the box that is). As I understand it, the following double standards apply:

It was chalked off by the anonymous VAR official sitting in London because it accidentally grazed Laporte’s arm. That’s because any handball by an attacking player, accidental or not, leading to a goal is disallowed. However, let’s say the ball accidentally hits the Tottenham players arm. It would not be a penalty unless the ball hit the defenders arm in an unnatural position. This rule favours the defender.

So there is a blanket rule against the attacking team, but discretion for the defending team! That’s ludicrous.

Having said that, photos show Laportes arm was pulled into that position by the defender, so the placement of his arm was due to the pull by the defender!
By the way, this is not a joke: we are 100% going to see defenders attempting to pull attackers arms in to the way of balls in to the box now. It will rarely come off, but defenders will do it anyway because they know the governing bodies have painted themselves in to a corner and cannot “reinterpret” the rule as it stands halfway through the season. It should be a foul, a yellow card, and penalty for conduct contravening the spirit of the game (attempted cheating), mind, but they won’t do any such thing until they can “clarify” rule again, which will be next close season.

And if they do actually relax the rule sometime *after* the incident in our match, without any compensation to City, we’ll know it was either corruption, incompetence, or (more likely) both.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.