Var debate 2019/20

I think that's the problem with VAR at the moment, it's being used to forensically dissect every goal to find a way to disallow it using a technicality but isn't being used to eradicate actual cheating.
In this format we'll definitely get shafted by it the most as we score the most goals but Littlewoods diving and the rags defensive technique of just grabbing attacking players will just go on as normal.
If VAR isn't being used to stop cheats then what is the actual point of it?

Think you have answered your own question it's to allow littlewoods diving and rags holding to carry on but to stop others from trying it !!

I thought I saw Oliver hold his hand to his ear when City players approached him. It looked like he was saying that VAR had looked at it.

So that's Oliver and at least one other member of PGMOL who, apparently, didn't think it was a foul on Rodri and yet every pundit, reporter, fan (of both sides) thought it was a clear penalty. PGMOL don't seem to like the concept of transparency and/or accountability but if you're asking fans to accept VAR then they need to be forced to adopt a more open approach. 54,000 people in The Etihad thought Jesus had scored a perfectly good goal and even when we left the stadium there was no definitive answer why it had been disallowed until people started getting the information via social media. That in itself can't be acceptable.

The new law states that it's an offence if the player

"Gains possession/control of the ball after it has touched their arm and then creates a goal scoring opportunity."

In that case it would be funny if a defender touched it with his arm but it was deemed to be in a natural position. So the ref waves play on, then the defender hoofs it 60 yards downfield and the striker run onto it and scores. What happens next ? Stalemate ?

I may have blue tinted glasses on here but watching other games yesterday and last weekend, I never felt that VAR was going to be used .It was there in the background to be used if an incident happened but in our two games I knew that VAR would be used ,just knew . I reckon VAR will not show up in the chelsea game later.
Exactly. And when our opponents score, you are not expecting VAR to check anything. The game seems to restart pretty quickly, almost as if they are trying to ‘lock-in’ the goal and move on. When we score, there’s a 3 minute inquisition.

I was going to read 40 pages but you know what, I can't be arsed, just like I am getting with football. I can't be arsed going to watch the likes of Oliver ignore blatant penalties and VAR not to tell him. The media have been saying all week that Tottenham had to stop City 'for the good of football'. They couldn't manage it so the officials stepped in. Absolutely bent and it is ruining the game.

All of you that support VAR can go and fuck yourselves.

FFS, stop being daft.

VAR can't work without the rules. If the rules are so stupid and rigid, that's the issue, not VAR.

You're conflating complaints.

I actually think that VAR will eventually be a good addition to the game so long as the laws of the game are sorted.

The problem for us seems to be that rather than bad decisions evening themselves out, we are getting doubly screwed with the technology.

Go back to Liverpool in the CL a few years ago. If VAR was in place then we would have qualified. There was at least a 3 offside goal swing in Liverpool’s favour over the tie.

Then VAR is implemented and it leads to us getting knocked out by Spurs due to a tight offside call.

Then the handball rule is changed and Gabby’s goal yesterday is ruled out which was far less of an offence than the Llorente goal last season.

What the first two games of this season has shown is that there needs to be greater clarity and consistency over VAR.

Why was the Zinchenko tackle on Lanzini checked on VAR last week but not the foul on Rodri?

Why are attackers penalised for accidental handball but not defenders?

Why did VAR use different frames when assessing the Jesus and Sterling goals against West Ham?

Also, until fans in the ground can hear and see the decision making process of the refs the system will be abused.

Many on here wanted it as well!
In typical bureaucratic fashion, what the authorities have managed to do is to take a fairly simple concept and ruin it with over zealousness.
Kyle Walker being 6 yards offside for Spurs, VAR is supposed to spot. Sterling last week? Don’t think so. Thierry Henry handball for France, VAR is supposed to spot that as well. The Wolves goal last week and Jesus yesterday (Llorente in the quarter final, for that matter)? Don’t think it’s for that either.
Also, if it takes longer than 10-20 seconds it cannot, by definition, be clear and obvious so benefit of the doubt should stay on the pitch. Referees call, if you like. As the life blood of the game is goals, a system that appears to be trying to find any reason at all to disallow them seems to have somewhat missed the point.

This is it absolutely.

Glaring mistakes such as our disallowed goal v the scousers, when it was Milner who kicked the ball, or his luducrous offside v West Ham; those kind of stinking mistakes are the ones people wanted eradicating along with diving & violent conduct.

The 'offside' goal Aguero scored v Swansea, is the kind of marginal thing which has happened for & against, for 100 years. Just get on with it & give the striker the advantage if unsure. V.a.r. should only come in, if he's blatantly offside & it's not seen, not for a few inches.

4 VAR decisions against us incorrect so far. 0 in our favour.
1. @Spurs CL A - Son goal Armpit++ offside - yet a goal given.
2. @Spurs CL H - Ball hit Spurs players hand at corner prior to goal - yet a goal was given even though CL games playing to new rules.
3. @West Ham A - Silva pass judged 5 frames after ball contact so Sterling offside by an armpit prior to Jesus goal.
4. @Spurs H - Lamela has arm wrapped around Rodri's neck. Possible pen not referred by ref to VAR.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.