Var debate 2019/20

Even Duncan Castles thinks they were wrong to interpret the new handball rule in the way that they did.

The commentators and journalists have not read the rule.

The rule says

It is an offence if a player:

• gains possession/control of the ball after it has touched their hand/arm and then:
    • scores in the opponents’ goal
    • creates a goal-scoring opportunity

AND THEN

Laporte does not and then anything. It inadvertently flicks off his arm which leads to controlled possession by another player.

This is about interpretation. It's not black and white at all. I think the rule was set up to stop a situation where the ball directly goes in off a players arm, or when it srikes an arm, and a player makes a conscious assist.

The VAR decision was harsh or wrong application of the handball rule.
Yep. I assume it’s to cover a deflection leading to a simple tap in. Jesus had to make the space himself to create the goal. Clarification is certainly needed, but as Karen says, it can’t now happen until the end of the season unless they bring it in at Christmas after everyone’s played each other once.

The commentators and journalists have not read the rule.

The rule says

• gains possession/control of the ball after it has touched their hand/arm and then:

AND THEN

Laporte does not and then anything. It inadvertently flicks off his arm which leads to controlled possession by another player.

This is about interpretation. It's not black and white at all. I think the rule was set up to stop a situation where the ball directly goes in off a players arm, or when it srikes an arm, and a player makes a conscious assist.

The VAR decision was harsh or wrong application of the handball rule.
So Oliver did not know about the rule and was passing judgement on the field.

Not surprised at the incompetence, that is what happens when corruption seeps deep into the whole system.

Every goal in every game this season has had a VAR review.

No it certainly hasn't, regardless of the claims.

The rags had a goal last week that was extremely close to offside. It may have been.

Not a single side on replay on broadcast, not a mention of a VAR review which absolutely should have happened.

But the rags and dippers deliberately don't have VAR screens in their shithole stadia and you have to ask why not?

To me it looks like the refs will not use it there now because the crowd have no access to what is being used in every other ground.

it's a bloody shambles.

People are going to have to deal with the fact that we are going to have a lot of VAR controversies this season.

We dominate, create and play on the edge all the time. We bombard the opposition with crosses and runs, like no other side does. We don't make moves and runs that you see coming a mile away.

Naturally, this means that we will have more VAR reviews and tight calls than any other side. It's not going to get better unless they change the system.

I don’t think the handball created the chance at all. The ball barely deviated from its path. The chance was created and finished by Jesus, not as a result of the ball striking Laporte’s arm.

Simply don’t see how you can say that chance was created by the handball.

Yes they need to tweak the law so that there has to be a significant advantage following an accidental hand ball in the build up to a goal. A noticeable deviation of the path of the ball.

I know everything there is to know about VAR but what I can't, for the life of me, understand is why the Premier League didn't just negotiate a points deduction with the club at the start of the season.

Why have they initiated this charade and tried to hide behind technology when every neutral and their dog can see what's going on.

HANDLING THE BALL

• deliberately touches the ball with their hand/arm, including moving the hand/arm towards the ball
  • scores in the opponents’ goal directly from their hand/arm, even if accidental, including by the goalkeeper
It is usually an offence if a player:
  • touches the ball with their hand/arm when:
    • the hand/arm has made their body unnaturally bigger
    • the hand/arm is above/beyond their shoulder level (unless the player deliberately plays the ball which then touches their hand/arm)
The above offences apply even if the ball touches a player’s hand/arm directly from the head or body (including the foot) of another player who is close.

Except for the above offences, it is not usually an offence if the ball touches a player’s hand/arm:
  • directly from the player’s own head or body (including the foot)
  • directly from the head or body (including the foot) of another player who is close
  • if the hand/arm is close to the body and does not make the body unnaturally bigger
  • when a player falls and the hand/arm is between the body and the ground to support the body, but not extended laterally or vertically away from the body
Could they make the handball rules any more complicated if they tried?

There are several things in the handball rules above that make me think Laportes handball, could and should not have been given.

I mean what type of rule is it that says it is 'usually' an offence, it either is or it isn't an offence surely!?

The only mention of 'accidental' hand ball is in the event of a player scoring directly with his hand?

The killer statement is the following

'Except for the above offences, it is not usually an offence if the ball touches a player’s hand/arm

if the hand/arm is close to the body and does not make the body unnaturally bigger'

I cant find one element of the handball rules above that applies to Laporte. I am even more annoyed than I was yesterday.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.