Spurs (H) Post Match Thread

So this is where VAR can and will be use corruptly.

Offside as you say, is not black and white. If the view of the pass is obscured, then the VAR officials are making a judgement call as to whether or not the attacker was offside or not at the very point the pass was made. Given the speed some players run at we are not talking millimetres of error, more like meters. So there is one instance conscious/unconscious bias can be an effect in the outcome of a decision. - completely agree with this - maybe there needs to be a new definition of offside (eg clear daylight between defender and attacker for it to be offside - maybe this would make up the room for error)

In the instance of the third goal that never was, it was the defenders actions (drag back) which caused Laport's arm to be in the position where he made contact with the ball. The ball also hit the defenders arm practically simultaneously, but apparently that's ok even though his action of pulling back Laport's arm was not accidental. At the least it should have been a foul against Spurs. Even with my blue tinted spec's off, I can see that kind of decision going the other way for another team this season in the PL.

It doesnt hit the defneders arm, it comes off Laportes

The pulling back comes before the action of heading not duinrg..if you know anything you would know when you jump you raise your arms naturally (and this is what always got me frustrated previously with people saying a defneders arms should be up there when jumping...actually they should be raised as its completely natural to do so for balance and propulsion)

you could argue it could have been a foul - and sometimes they are given and sometimes not - just like the other foul where someone dragged at (Laportes?) arm in an earlier inciden while we were still 2-1 up) - sometimes they are given, sometimes not.

VAR should take away any doubt, but unfortunately it adds ANOTHER LAYER OF (UNACCOUNTABLE) SUBJECTIVITY TO THE APPLICATION OF THE LAWS OF THE GAME.
- agreed...maybe what it us sued for shoud be left to offisdes (if the rule was changed slightly to accomodate it and handballs (but the rule needs to be changed IMHO) and fouls shouldnt be reviewed at all and left to the ref on the pitch.....but you could ask about what about the ones that happen behind the refs back that he doesnt see )off the ball incidents)?

Yeah, the Kev one looked like nothing to me, he jumped over the coming tackle and stumbled because of it, it was a foul tackle whether it made contact or not regardless of if Kev went down or not. It wasn't a dive I didn't think and it looked at the time that there was slight contact with Kev's trailing foot which knocked him slightly off stride but I've only seen it once and so can't say for sure.
I can't really remember seeing Salah go down when he's dragged backwards by the arm, the ones I remember are where there's two players going for a ball and he'd initiate contact then fall over theatrically. I think that it should have been a penalty not because Laporte fell over, whether easily or not, but because grabbing hold of a players arm to stop him getting on the end of a cross is an illegal move. To be honest, the whole grabbing hold of players as a defensive tactic is one that I've hated for years and really hoped that VAR would stamp out, it's an easy one to spot and doesn't require the rules to be changed it just needs them to be enforced properly. After a couple of weekends of penalties given for holding in the box it would soon stop.

Salah does that all the time (initiate contact) and hopefully this will help prevent that (Just like Lanzini last week vs us when he went down int he box)
I do seem to remember Salah doing it when being help onto and ar hand touching him (maybe it wasnt last season but the previous one to that?

lots of people saying the rule (including ex pros, pundits etc) saying the new rule about handball is wrong.

i dont think the attacking team being allowed the benefit of the doubt is still the line (could be wrong but i thought i heard this yesterday).....

the rule as i understand it(as its been changed this season ) and that is being quoted is that its a handball offence if, as part of the build to a goal, the ball hits a hand/arm (whether deliberate or not) of an attaking player - which it did. - i think this is wrong because like yesterday thre was no way on earth that Lapotre ever intended to either use his arm or gain an advantage from it, nor did it go in directly off his arm (if it had done it would have been ruled out....

the tech saw that Sterling was mm's offisde...now there is a debate on where you stop and start the footage amd someone on here was talking about film speeds etc last week who seemed to know a lot about it but even with the fastest camera's there is stillan error margin...depends on an interprition of when the ball is played for the pass...is it the moment the passer connects with the ball or the moment it leaves his foot? for me its the first (the moment the passer connects with the ball)...now you would would think that the time is such a timy amount of differene but when you are moving at the speed of someone like sterling at full pace the distance a player can cover in that time can be the difference of on or offside...

so again does the offside rule need to be changed to acomodate the differntial beteen the two possibilities....and again give the advantage slightly to the attacker...yes....I think (though people with better tech knowledge may say no) that if we changed the rule back to what it used to be (ie that there should be clear daylight between the attacked and defnder for it to be consdiered offside, then maybe that would make up the differnce in the split milliseconds from the passer touching the ball and the ball leaving his foot??
So basically you're saying that VAR doesn't work and is being used to interpret the laws of game in incorrect and vastly inaccurate ways? I knew you'd come round in the end! ;)

- agreed...maybe what it us sued for shoud be left to offisdes (if the rule was changed slightly to accomodate it and handballs (but the rule needs to be changed IMHO) and fouls shouldnt be reviewed at all and left to the ref on the pitch.....but you could ask about what about the ones that happen behind the refs back that he doesnt see )off the ball incidents)?
I really don't think it matters anymore. The PiGMOL will just do what they want at the behest of the Premier League/FA. Scudamore's fix is in.

So basically you're saying that VAR doesn't work and is being used to interpret the laws of game in incorrect and vastly inaccurate ways? I knew you'd come round in the end! ;)

I dont think it works perfectly but then it cannt ever do as humans are just using machinary to interprit things and humans are falable (or open to corruption/bias if that is your line of thinking)

However the hand ball call in my opinion (and in accordance to the laws of the game - which i think are wrong) was the correct call

the rodri/lamella incident for me was a clear foul....but the ref on he pitch nor the VAR ref agree's - that happened regualrly before VAR - what constitutes a foul is always open to debate...

VAr works in someways not in others. But its the humans in charge not the system itself

Salah does that all the time (initiate contact) and hopefully this will help prevent that (Just like Lanzini last week vs us when he went down int he box)
I do seem to remember Salah doing it when being help onto and ar hand touching him (maybe it wasnt last season but the previous one to that?
He more than likely has done but its not his usual M.O. he's usually much dirtier and goes down when there's been no infringement from the defender.
I really hope that VAR is used to stamp this out, again a few yellow cards for a few weeks and this nonsense is stamped out and we can go back to the real beautiful game.

Just watched the incident for the first time and couldn't help but notice that Laporte had his shirt pulled seconds before the alleged handball, so why did VAR not award a penalty?

I really don't think it matters anymore. The PiGMOL will just do what they want at the behest of the Premier League/FA. Scudamore's fix is in.

its a shame if people think like this and if you are right....I try to not think like this as it would for not just us but the vast majority of other teams spoil the game

ill be honest that when i heard Pep say he thought it would benefit us more than most I thought he was completely wrong...with the amount of attacking we do i think it will affect us negatively more....goals chalked out for borderline offsides, offences in the build up to goals...etc

we dont have much in the way of taffic towards our goal so there wont be that much to look at....for example no one is looking at the two goals we gave them yesterday as neither were contenscious and vs West ham there was virtually nothing to look t (except Lanzini throwing himself to the floor)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.