Will VAR lead to increased football violence?

Not read the thread yet. Hearing that a female spurs fan got punched in the face by a male city fan at the game. Obviously bang out of order that but I guarantee you will see much more of this as people, pissed up and coked up celebrate last minute winners only to have it ruled out 5 mins later.

It reminded me of the Paul Scholes last minute winner for United at the Etihad.

After the game it kicked off big time.

A Police riot van across the road from the stadium was about to be turned over before Police Dog handlers were deployed. it was on 2 wheels.

Any United fans that were outside the away end, soon ran back in.

Last minute goals and decisions that go against City, especially in big games, can lead to disorder outside the ground.

Adebayor doing a 180 on the pitch and stopping in-front of the Arsenal fans to celebrate, is an exception rather than the rule.

I'm laughing so much! :-)

Last edited:
The evening kick-offs are a recipe for disorder with the extra couple of hours drinking and snorting .
I saw plenty of idiots yesterday hardly able to stand up.
We walk past the cockneys as they were coming out and i could tell it would go off.
I’m not sure why they don’t keep them in for 10 minutes as innocents will inevitably be caught up in trouble at the away gates in the future imo.

IMO the trouble at Schalke away was caused by VAR. There was the normal away section protected by a plastic screen. Next to it they had sold a few hundred seats to city fans. There was no segregation at all. All was relatively peaceful and they even sold beer to you at your seat. I remember commenting to my mate that this is how football should be. Then the two VAR enaltydecisions happened and the atmosphere turned toxic. There was hand bags at half time with drunk idiot city fans causing trouble on the concourse and then at full time that City fan nearly lost his life.

I think the main issue is that VAR decisions are unaccountable and are not explained properly to the crowd and this leads to a feeling we have been cheated.

It reminded me of the Paul Scholes last minute winner for United at the Etihad.

After the game it kicked of big time.

A Police riot van across the road from the stadium was about to be turned over before Police Dog handlers were deployed. it was on 2 wheels.

Any United fans that were outside the away end, soon ran back in.

Last minute goals and decisions that go against City, especially in big games, can lead to disorder outside the ground.

Adebayor doing a 180 on the pitch and stopping in-front of the Arsenal fans to celebrate, is an exception rather than the rule.

I'm laughing so much! :-)

What a horrible memory that Scholes winner, that was pure venom after that, I recall people with hands full of horse shit and it kicking off big time.

We live in a snowflake society now but you can't take the emotion away from football supporters; you can try and ruin our football experience, but you can't stop fans caring, you can't stop fans being angry at injustice and you can't stop people reacting to being bated, spat on and challenged. The more the fans feel we are being made a mockery of and cheated, the more the anger will grow and the larger risk of violence.
Add testosterone, drink and drugs into the equation and further injustices and we will see trouble ahead.
I think with more younger fans in the away support the likelihood for fan violence will greatly escalate.

IMO the trouble at Schalke away was caused by VAR. There was the normal away section protected by a plastic screen. Next to it they had sold a few hundred seats to city fans. There was no segregation at all. All was relatively peaceful and they even sold beer to you at your seat. I remember commenting to my mate that this is how football should be. Then the two VAR enaltydecisions happened and the atmosphere turned toxic. There was hand bags at half time with drunk idiot city fans causing trouble on the concourse and then at full time that City fan nearly lost his life.

I think the main issue is that VAR decisions are unaccountable and are not explained properly to the crowd and this leads to a feeling we have been cheated.

Great point on the VAR accountability and the element of cheating!

Not read the thread yet. Hearing that a female spurs fan got punched in the face by a male city fan at the game. Obviously bang out of order that but I guarantee you will see much more of this as people, pissed up and coked up celebrate last minute winners only to have it ruled out 5 mins later.

What evidence do you have that it actually happened??

It’s more than one match. I’m noticing it far, far more. I’ve always accepted defeat with good grace and moved on. And, in several decades of going, I’ve never felt the need to strike a rival fan despite being attacked myself. Hooliganism is a cancer on the game.
With the greatest of respect mate, I think your floppy bucket hat covers your eyes sometimes. You can't seem to grasp what others can see.

Yes hooliganism is indeed a cancer on the game, but I fear it's on its way back. Did you go yesterday?

Last edited:
What evidence do you have that it actually happened??
Will you only believe it if some wanna be hoolie puts it on YouTube or Twitter?

I saw a bit of fisticuffs outside Asda after the game but I've been told by a few blues there were several skirmishes, and I believe it got quite nasty near where the old Mitchell arms used to be.

Like someone mentioned, we have history with Spurs and it stems back to 81. I really hope we don't go back to the infamous riots of 81, but the way its going I can see this happening unfortunately.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.