Var debate 2019/20

I haven't heard one person mention the defender grabbing Laporte's arm (a foul and a pen but we scored anyway), Laporte pulls his arm from the defender's grip and the ball hits his arm as a direct consequence of the defender grabbing Laporte's arm. Am I hallucinating or something ?

Me, I saw it too thanks to the full highlights on Man City for TV app. I posted about it on here too, but the VARites on here have swamped that post with their claims of fact and fail to provide proof, though it has been requested many times.

Right, anyone watching The Ashes will notice that their equivalent of VAR has to give a running commentary to justify his decision - broadcast on TV and in the ground I think. Same in both rugby codes. In the Laporte case, the VAR ref would have to say 'The defender is clearly grabbing Laporte's arm, a clear foul, causing Laporte's arm to be in the line of travel of the ball. A penalty would normally be awarded for the foul on Laporte, but the team scored anyway. The goal is good. Michael, your original decision is correct and stands.'

Apologies if this has been put on before, but after the penalty wasn't given and spurs were to go upfield and score, would they have used var and gone back to the laporte incident and given us a penalty.

We didn't draw yesterday as a result of VAR. It was because we missed a load of chances in both halves and our decision making in the final third was abysmal throughout. A bad day at the office. Nothing more sinister

Me, I saw it too thanks to the full highlights on Man City for TV app. I posted about it on here too, but the VARites on here have swamped that post with their claims of fact and fail to provide proof, though it has been requested many times.
Must admit, after the game I went to a big family event - a send off for my son going to the USA for a year and much of the same today, so haven't been looking at posts in depth. But you're bang on.

I'm a very placid sort of guy and generally quiet - except when I'm at City. Never thought I'd say this, but if I had been a City player yesterday I would have made the TV sign in the direction of Sky, stormed off to the fourth official, replayed the arm grab and refused to come back on the pitch. As it is, the arm grab has been airbrushed from the debate.

Are you and I the only ones who saw this ?

Last edited:
We didn't draw yesterday as a result of VAR. It was because we missed a load of chances in both halves and our decision making in the final third was abysmal throughout. A bad day at the office. Nothing more sinister
True about our finishing, but the handball decision was wrong. See my other posts re the grab on Laporte's arm.

Apologies if this has been put on before, but after the penalty wasn't given and spurs were to go upfield and score, would they have used var and gone back to the laporte incident and given us a penalty.

The official line would be:

If it's City = "No VAR required, Referee said he saw it and deemd to not be a penalty"

If it's Liverpool = "Referee said he didn't see it, VAR reviewed and awared a penalty "

Must admit, after the game I went to a big family event - a send off for my son going to the USA for a year and much of the same today, so haven't been looking at posts in depth. But you're bang on.

I'm a very placid sort of guy and generally quiet - except when I'm at City. Never thought I'd say this, but if I had been a City player yesterday I would have made the TV sign in the direction of Sky, stormed off to the fourth official, replayed the arm grab and refused to come back on the pitch. As it is, the arm grab has been airbrushed from the debate.

I quit BlueMoon back in 2015 because of all the arguing on here. I've been nursing a hangover today so decided to log on as I couldn't believe the amount of Blues on here claiming the handball to be fact with no proof. The ball deflected so it may well have hit Laporte, but it could have hit the defender! All I want is proof like fans get with cricket, tennis, and rugby.

I was all for VAR because it was meant to be for incidents that got missed and the Rodri foul got missed! This is my post from earlier today. Where was VAR?

How do you know the referee does see it?

I watched the match again on Man City for TV and just before the replay you see the ball go out for a throw in > then a close up of Oliver shaking his head and pointing to his ear piece > then the replay shows Oliver look at the player taking the corner kick > then Oliver looks at the huddle of players in the middle of the penalty area = thus Oliver doesn't see Aguero being pulled back by Rose and by the time he's turn his head to where the ball is, Rodri is already on the deck.

I'd post a video, but trying to control the Man City for TV app is difficult. This could all be avoided if referees were micked up for the whole world to hear what VAR is doing and what the referee and the other officials are saying to each other. If they saw both incidents and deemed them not to be fouls then that's one thing, but no one knows for certain. Football is a soap opera, decent sports like cricket and rugby have none of this controversy because we get to hear what the officials are saying, etc.

30 minutes it took to get the evidence below to help provide factual proof for my point. Life is too short, I'm off for my tea and going to think about whether my time this weekend would have been better watching the Ashes. Yesterday I decided to stay in the pub with my mates in the beer garden. I got to the ground at half time, and saw the second half. Why did I stay in the beer garden? Because, usually I put City first and others second, but I'm tired of doing that, especially when soap operas bore the hell out of me.

20190818_173336.jpg

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.