Facial recognition at City?

They searched our bags when I went on the City tour with my granddaughters last week. As we went into the stadium. Perfunctory check but a check nevertheless!

@jrb yes it happens at every turnstile I think. It was funny yesterday because the guy in front of me asked the young lady doing the scanning if it was real as he never heard any beeps so she tested it on her jacket & it beeped because she had a metal zip puller thing! But she then muttered something that sounded like I switch it to silent cos I get fed up of the beeps!
That sounds a bit like the Fawlty Towers sketch with the deaf woman. When Basil asks her to turn her hearing aid on she says ‘I keep it off as the battery wears out’.

I don't know what the truth is but I'd personally side with the Living Wage Foundation over the Telegraph and because we're not listed on there, I think there's probably more we can do in that area which I'd rather prioritise over investing in something as universally hated as facial recognition.

In my defence you asked where I had got the information from, I did a quick google search and that was the first of many that came up so I copied and pasted. The article quotes City, I hate the media but I see no reason for them to lie and invent a quote from City, especially one that shows us in a good light. If the LWF do not have us listed then I am in 2 minds but I do know it has been discussed many times.

From my experience of queues and getting searched on the turnstiles I think the worst ones are in South stand lower and East corner lower. Noticed a table of plastic bottles full of water yesterday. Fair enough, we can't take them in as they could be anything, from bleach to explosives. But the main reason is so we buy the rip off food and drinks.

Where does all this security stop?

I was in 329 last season and it was a breeze getting in. Mainly because it's full of harmless doddering FOCs though. Good job they don't have to give their catheters up or there'd be no room on the tables; )

When I get to being an FOC with a catheter I'll empty it all over the table and put it back in place. That will piss the jobsworths off.

Hahaha! :)

Yeah from what I see and hear it seems to be applied radomly around the ground. I use entrance V and take a sealed water bottle every match (season ticket and all the cup schemes). As long as it's sealed they just take one look at it and let me through after waving their wand. But to avoid the queues I tend to get their just before kick-off or just after when the queue has gone.

Yesterday because of VAR I stayed in the beer garden with my mates and turned up at half time. Only W is open about 15 minutes after the match has started and I was surprised to see the stewards were treating the corporate fans (who were late like me) just the same as us plebs by searching their Prada bags and waving the wands.

In my defence you asked where I had got the information from, I did a quick google search and that was the first of many that came up so I copied and pasted. The article quotes City, I hate the media but I see no reason for them to lie and invent a quote from City, especially one that shows us in a good light. If the LWF do not have us listed then I am in 2 minds but I do know it has been discussed many times.

Only Liverpool, Everton, Chelsea, and West Ham have have made the Living Wage pledge.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-49288182

Only Liverpool, Everton, Chelsea, and West Ham have have made the Living Wage pledge.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-49288182
I think misty is right mate. I know someone who does stadium tours and is on the minimum wage. Pathetic really when he is an ambassador for the club with an extensive knowledge in presenting the history and current status of MCFC to thousands of paying tourists each year.

I think misty is right mate. I know someone who does stadium tours and is on the minimum wage. Pathetic really when he is an ambassador for the club with an extensive knowledge in presenting the history and current status of MCFC to thousands of paying tourists each year.

City have to pay the national minimum wage as that is enforced by HMRC, the living wage is voluntary. City haven't signed up and some Blues wonder why those serving food and drink on the concourse aren't providing top level service. I know I wouldn't if I were those staff.

What is the difference between the living wage and the national minimum wage?
The living wage is an informal benchmark, not a legally enforceable minimum level of pay, like the national minimum wage.

The national minimum wage is set by the business secretary each year on the advice of the Low Pay Commission. It is enforced by HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC).

The living wage is currently calculated by the Centre for Research in Social Policy at Loughborough University, while the London living wage has been calculated by the GLA since 2005.

The basic idea is that these are the minimum pay rates needed to let workers lead a decent life.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-20204594

City have to pay the national minimum wage as that is enforced by HMRC, the living wage is voluntary. City haven't signed up and some Blues wonder why those serving food and drink on the concourse aren't providing top level service. I know I wouldn't if I were those staff.

What is the difference between the living wage and the national minimum wage?
The living wage is an informal benchmark, not a legally enforceable minimum level of pay, like the national minimum wage.

The national minimum wage is set by the business secretary each year on the advice of the Low Pay Commission. It is enforced by HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC).

The living wage is currently calculated by the Centre for Research in Social Policy at Loughborough University, while the London living wage has been calculated by the GLA since 2005.

The basic idea is that these are the minimum pay rates needed to let workers lead a decent life.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-20204594
Oh right.. I'm wrong then. I remember him saying he was on under £9 per hour which I find shocking TBH.

Oh right.. I'm wrong then. I remember him saying he was on under £9 per hour which I find shocking TBH.

Aye, I agree.

Even if it is a trial that fans have to sign up to for fast track entering the ground, I think there's more to it than that. In my view it's a means for automation, you get the computer to do the majorty of the work, thus less staff to pay for as stewards.

My view is, the majority of fans will having been attending matches for decades and the system knows that so all it needs is a photo to confirm it's you and you get in. If the computer doesn't recognise you, the light flashes amber and you get checked by a human to rule out the terrorist threat. The question is how many matches do you have to attend before your deemed not to be a terrorist threat by the system?

I’ve never seen this quoted by city that sealed bottles are ok.

On another point I wish they would tell the annoying steward ( with her hair flowing out of her baseball hat ) that she doesn’t have to constantly shout ‘ take your hats off’ when there was only 6 people queuing!! ( 4pm)

The club saying talk of this technology is premature is just plain wrong.
Members of the security team yesterday were assigned facial recognition duties so something is definitely being trialled.

Customer service strategy at the club right now is woeful. I’ve never felt so disconnected yet I’m forever bombarded with survey after survey.

The club needs to be careful. I understand there was head scratching at the highest level after the first PL win in 2012 when the expected bump in season ticket take up didn’t occur (hence the value gold offers). Well I put it down to what some of my mates did who’s lifelong ambition had been achieved and they called it a day.
For what it’s worth, I think the club are heading towards a similar event. I’m convinced Pep will win 2 more titles and a Champions League and then leave us in 2021.
That being the case, I think a fair few fans may do the same and follow him out the door.
Therefore they should be making the fan experience at the stadium all it can be, not dehumanising us with nonsense like facial recognition.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.