Var debate 2019/20

Footage of Stockley Park after they rewound the tape after the Jesus goal....

tenor.gif

There has to be some changes after this like Michael Oliver being relegated to Championship for next couple of games. It was a clear and obvious error that he should have been made to review. The handball situation is a farce it will lead to cheating if it is allowed to stay in its current form.

If the VAR understood the law about “gaining possession of the ball” there’s no way the goal is disallowed. This VAR has not understood the new law properly!

VAR exudes not the slightest milligram of emotion. It simply states what has happened which the optically challenged Oliver and his compatriots are incapable of seeing. It is then left to another optically challenged Whistling Wanker to whisper in No I Whistling Wanker's ear that he's seen nothing about a penalty and the ball in its travels has brushed the hairs on a sky blue arm. Institutionalised cheating. If Whistling Wankers ever did 'shame' Oliver and Scott's heads would be dragging on the floor this week. Their combined performances could not be described as appalling - it was worse than that. Unfortunately, within the corridors of PiGMOL it would go down as a 'strong performance'! Paraphrasing the unctuous Alan Green: "Oliver? The best referee in the country? Don't make me laugh!"

But it's left distinctly vague. Were it to say "Creates a goal scoring opportunity FOR HIMSELF' then chalking off the goal would be blatant cheating, but as it stands it is unclear as to whom the gso has been created. I think the drafting of that bit has been left on the foggy side of things quite deliberately so that the VAR shed wallahs and PiGMOL can pick and choose, as they have - they chose us. i expect, now the game has concluded and we have been awarded one point and Jesus one goal less in his quest for the Golden Boot, for PiGMOL to come out and clarify, just in time for a Rag or Dipper to benefit with a winning goal scored in identical circumstances to ours on Saturday. Remember the game of Ottamendi's pen? Uefa said after the game ended and there was more than just consternation at the contrived decision to award the penalty that they would review the handball law within the week. They sorted it but waited until PSG had conceded a penalty in similar circumstances. Now who was that against?
I think it’s quite clear.

1. Handball (even if accidental)
2. Gains possession/control of the ball and then
2i. Scores in the opponents net
2ii. Creates a goal scoring opportunity (can be for himself or a team mate, why does that matter? a gso is a gso and 2ii doesn’t matter anyway if he doesn’t gain possession/control of the ball)
3. Or scores directly in the opponents net with his arm (even if accidental)

So to break that down into two examples:

Llorente CL goal
1. It was accidental handball by Llorente
2. He did not gain possession/control of the ball
2i. Void as he didn’t gain possession of the ball
2ii. Void as he didn’t gain possession of the ball
3. The ball hit his arm then hit his hip and went in, it didn’t go directly into the goal off his arm
= GOAL

Jesus Prem goal
1. It was accidental handball by Laporte
2. He did not gain possession/control of the ball
2i. Void
2ii. Void
3. Void as the ball went to a teammate (Jesus) after he accidentally handballed it, not straight into the net
= GOAL

Last edited by a moderator:
VAR will be good for City ultimately. Dippers and rags won't score from off-side positions at least and won't get so many favourable decisions. Rags got 12 pens last season, 3 times what we got. Won't happen with VAR, I'm perfectly sure about that. We'll benefit in some important games from VAR as well and people will find it more acceptable.

VAR will be good for City ultimately. Dippers and rags won't score from off-side positions at least and won't get so many favourable decisions. Rags got 12 pens last season, 3 times what we got. Won't happen with VAR, I'm perfectly sure about that. We'll benefit in some important games from VAR as well and people will find it more acceptable.

Do you honestly believe that the VAR man will over rule the ref and say it wasn't a penalty for the Rags, seriously ?

It wasn’t a perfectly good goal tho. Not because of VAR but because of the new stupid handball rule
It was because Laporte did not gain possession of the ball and then create a goal scoring opportunity after accidentally hand balling it. He created a goal scoring opportunity after accidentally hand balling it.

At no point did he gain possession of the ball.

Therefore it should have been a goal.

You'll catch a few with that one.

Remember when they instructed refs to take action in the box against players who block the attacker when defending a corner? When Sterling conceded a penalty? Don't think it happened again all season or since - same thing will happen here, there'll be dozens of accidental handballs left unpunished.

Do you honestly believe that the VAR man will over rule the ref and say it wasn't a penalty for the Rags, seriously ?

Referees will be more wary to give pens in the first place. I'm sure they ain't getting 12 pens with VAR in use.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.