Spurs (H) Post Match Thread

One thing this game has convinced me, even with VAR there, is that we're going to score 9 or 10 in a league game this season. We tore Spurs to pieces. We'll do that to a lesser team and we'll finish the chances too and there will be a HUGE outrage in the press about City disrespecting their opponents. Again. Bring it on...

So ederson's fault we drew now. People have blamed him, kdb, var etc. We drew because we never took our chances end of
Spot on Parkside. Now the steams stopped pissing out of my ears, I've calmed down and come to the conclusion that we fluffed our lines time and time again. We should of been 4 or 5 up when they scored their 2nd.

Could you copy and paste the handball rule.please....I'm really interested to see if its different from the one I've read...
Cheers
“It is an offence if a player:
  • deliberately touches the ball with their hand/arm, including moving their hand/arm towards the ball
  • gains possession/control of the ball after it has touched their hand/arm and then: a) scores in the opponent’s goal or b) creates a goalscoring opportunity
  • scores in the opponent’s goal directly from their hand/arm, even if accidental, including by the goalkeeper”
I’ve typed that up myself as for some reason I couldn’t get a screenshot to work

No at the time he didnt but ALL goals.are checked regardless of what has taken place....the refs on VAR saw it....even Kdb indicated in his post match comments that he saw it on the replay...he said something like..what's he supposed to do, chop his arm.off...think Bernardo said the same
Our version of VAR is supposed to only check “clear and obvious errors” and replays in real time. It was clear neither of these criteria were used, it was some officious twat in a caravan 200 miles away looking for a reason to dry bum us.

I’ve read the handball rule dozens of times since the game and I’m not convinced there was an offence. Ex refs in the media can come out saying “any handball that results in a goal is a foul”, but the laws don’t actually say that, and surely that’s what matters? The laws read as if Laporte would have had to gain possession/control of the ball AFTER it hitting his arm. Not in the moment it hit his arm, but after it. It’s clear that he did not gain control of the ball afterwards. The other parts of the rule are to do with if it’s deliberate (which it wasn’t), or if it goes in the net directly off the arm/hand (which it didn’t). I’m not even convinced it’s a foul, even under the new law.

It wasn't handball under the new law. Incompetent VAR referee who doesn't know the basics of his own profession.

Spot on Parkside. Now the steams stopped pissing out of my ears, I've calmed down and come to the conclusion that we fluffed our lines time and time again. We should of been 4 or 5 up when they scored their 2nd.

It's the same old story week in week out

When Liverpool have a crucial last minute winner chalked off I might believe VAR is being applied impartially.

I imagine that over the course of a few seasons we will be able to collect some statistics on it. It'll be interesting to see what they show.

“It is an offence if a player:
  • deliberately touches the ball with their hand/arm, including moving their hand/arm towards the ball
  • gains possession/control of the ball after it has touched their hand/arm and then: a) scores in the opponent’s goal or b) creates a goalscoring opportunity
  • scores in the opponent’s goal directly from their hand/arm, even if accidental, including by the goalkeeper”
I’ve typed that up myself as for some reason I couldn’t get a screenshot to work

Cheers for that.

I think we all agree that the first bullet point and last bullet point are not what's at question here?

It's the middle one that is....and it's the use of the word "or" that is the issue.....

The ball hits Laportes arm....it does create (non deliberately) a goal scoring opportunity. He never has control or is in possession (laporte) either of the ball or what happens with his arm (and ball).... the key bit is that we (the team) have gained possession from a handball ( non deliberate). I still read it as the ref has called it right and I always ask myself would I have given handball if i saw it during the match ( i know the ref didnt .....and I'm not a qualified ref either) but being completely honest I would have given handball as its hit his arm (and it doesn't have to be deliberate- though this is the bit I believe is completely wrong with the law as it stands) and the attacking team have retained possession because of it and a goal scoring opportunity has arisen.

What needs to change is that it must be deliberate use of the hand to create a goal scoring opportunity. However we then get the arguments about how you prove intent which in a lot of cases is difficult so from another point of view I can see why they have tried to go so black and white on it

You are right about this game. But if it happened in another game with greater implications, I doubt it will be so easy to blame it solely on our finishing. Especially if fought hard against a better team to score that kind of a decisive match winning goal.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.