Has our fan base become spoilt?

The problem is we have two types of supporters I’m old skool City fan when I grew up City were Sh**. Where my son he’s only 10 and he’s only ever known City to be the best team in England. What I’m saying is sometimes you can become a spoilt brat because we have had nothing but success.

It's probably impossible to answer as an old school City fan myself but I'll try. When I started going it was 1968 and we had just won the league. As a kid I had just got interested in football through mates, my dad had no interest in it so I never had any peer pressure or was raised with a love of it. For a couple of seasons we won trophies and I thought that it would always be like that but of course it wasn't. I guess I never had enough success to be spoilt but I started from a winning perspective.

Losing or dropping points always hurt even when we were shit. As a fan base back then we ranted and moaned just as much but it was at the game, on the bus back home and at school/work until the next game. There was no social media back then so the real outpouring of anger would be straight after the game as that was the only time you encountered an opposition fan. People would mob up to attack the enemy as they were viewed and this was in quite large numbers. If we had lost or it was against the hated rags, scousers or cockneys more joined in. Plenty also just went straight home but I did see a few heated arguments and the odd punch up even amongst the less aggressive older supporters. This was a normal match going experience.

As the years progressed and we became really shit we became numb to losing and disappointment it happened so often, in fact we expected it. If there was a glimmer of hope on the horizon we always knew it would end in heartache and it often did. So poor did we become that our steadfast support in large numbers as our closest rivals won trophy after trophy became a badge of honour we wore with pride. It drew admiration from opposition fans and the media alike, how times have changed!

So in summary being spoilt by success isn't the reason for any anger or the odd fisticuffs after a game it has always happened as long as I can remember. It is just more visible now due to social media and platforms like this.

How can anyone not be justifiably offended by the incompetence (or whatever it is)? The below is from the FA site...it’s literally their job to understand their own memo and the mind-bending logic of bullet points. Equally sad that the press parrots the mistake. Saddest will be if it just so happens to dawn on them all at a convenient time (same for “realizing” you can’t haul people down in the box)...

HANDLING THE BALL

It is an offence if a player:
  • deliberately touches the ball with their hand/arm, including moving the hand/arm towards the ball
  • gains possession/control of the ball after it has touched their hand/arm and then:
    • scores in the opponents’ goal
    • creates a goal-scoring opportunity
  • scores in the opponents’ goal directly from their hand/arm, even if accidental, including by the goalkeeper

I imagine the ones who the OP seems spoilt are ones sick of the club being shit on from a great height by media/Pundits/referees/other clubs chairmen/FA/Uefa/FIFA/La Liga spokesmen and the other vast array of wankers trying to bring us down.
It’s not spoilt to complain it’s not spoilt to vent, it’s much better to make a noise about our unfair treatment than just nod like a fucking dog and accept it.

It's probably impossible to answer as an old school City fan myself but I'll try. When I started going it was 1968 and we had just won the league. As a kid I had just got interested in football through mates, my dad had no interest in it so I never had any peer pressure or was raised with a love of it. For a couple of seasons we won trophies and I thought that it would always be like that but of course it wasn't. I guess I never had enough success to be spoilt but I started from a winning perspective.

Losing or dropping points always hurt even when we were shit. As a fan base back then we ranted and moaned just as much but it was at the game, on the bus back home and at school/work until the next game. There was no social media back then so the real outpouring of anger would be straight after the game as that was the only time you encountered an opposition fan. People would mob up to attack the enemy as they were viewed and this was in quite large numbers. If we had lost or it was against the hated rags, scousers or cockneys more joined in. Plenty also just went straight home but I did see a few heated arguments and the odd punch up even amongst the less aggressive older supporters. This was a normal match going experience.

As the years progressed and we became really shit we became numb to losing and disappointment it happened so often, in fact we expected it. If there was a glimmer of hope on the horizon we always knew it would end in heartache and it often did. So poor did we become that our steadfast support in large numbers as our closest rivals won trophy after trophy became a badge of honour we wore with pride. It drew admiration from opposition fans and the media alike, how times have changed!

So in summary being spoilt by success isn't the reason for any anger or the odd fisticuffs after a game it has always happened as long as I can remember. It is just more visible now due to social media and platforms like this.

Your spot on there mate.

Yes but it’s not a bad thing. It’s the only way to improve...demand better.

Bound to happen. Wait till Pep leaves then see the moaning that we haven’t got the best side the World has ever seen.

How can anyone not be justifiably offended by the incompetence (or whatever it is)? The below is from the FA site...it’s literally their job to understand their own memo and the mind-bending logic of bullet points. Equally sad that the press parrots the mistake. Saddest will be if it just so happens to dawn on them all at a convenient time (same for “realizing” you can’t haul people down in the box)...

HANDLING THE BALL

It is an offence if a player:
  • deliberately touches the ball with their hand/arm, including moving the hand/arm towards the ball
  • gains possession/control of the ball after it has touched their hand/arm and then:
    • scores in the opponents’ goal
    • creates a goal-scoring opportunity
  • scores in the opponents’ goal directly from their hand/arm, even if accidental, including by the goalkeeper

This is in the official publication on changes to the rules:

"football expects a player to be penalised for handball if they gain possession/control of the ball from their hand/arm and gain a major advantage e.g. score or create a goal-scoring opportunity"

It is very debatable that LaPorte's contact with the ball gave City was a case of gaining a major advantage. It's definitely not clear and obvious. The decision to disallow looks worse by the day.

This is in the official publication on changes to the rules:

"football expects a player to be penalised for handball if they gain possession/control of the ball from their hand/arm and gain a major advantage e.g. score or create a goal-scoring opportunity"

It is very debatable that LaPorte's contact with the ball gave City was a case of gaining a major advantage. It's definitely not clear and obvious. The decision to disallow looks worse by the day.

Yep no advantage was gained. The ball went behind Jesus, if there had been no touch it was on a plate.

The rule makes sense the interpretation was shockingly bad hence why everyone says a goal like that has never been disallowed before. I hope never again. These VAR guys are ex refs they are meant to understand...more training needed.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.