Var debate 2019/20

The lack of information given to the crowd is a major problem, but because a couple of allegedly big clubs don’t provide any video screens in the ground ( for the proper fans, only corporate), this won’t change at least this season

TV and Movie frequency's, we are talking Sky TV here, the vertical frequency of television was set before colour TV came out. Having said that they would change the TV system in the UK and Europe for the Candleholders and Rag twats
Agreed, for broadcast 960 fps isn't feasible, but for VAR monitoring at Stockley House, the recording technology is already here & is available on most high end mobile phones.

This can easily be done. It will take additional lenses situated right next to the TV cameras, & a dedicated Fibre optic line to Stockley House, but the kind of Fibre needed is readily available on Virgin Media domestically.

Hopefully, the anomalies which have shown up, will lead to a review of the tech being used for VAR. In addition to this, I believe VAR should be used when an obvious error has taken place, & not as the first port of call for all decisions.

As many have said, wait until VAR affects the Rags or Bin Dippers, that's when we'll see major movement.

As a fan base we have often led the way, think inflatables etcetera. I think we need to do so regarding this passion killer. At our next game our fans should remain silent and still if we score. I know this is going to be difficult to do but just think of the impact it will have. As it is an away game with fewer fans in one small area it may be easier to achieve. Total silence and impassive. It is a live game so it would be a huge talking point. When and only when Bournemouth kick off do we celebrate wildly. It could be followed with a song, "Premier league and var, is this what you want? Or " Kill the fun, you kill the game, sort the var or it isn't the same."

Of my five sons, one's a software developer and another a website designer. Both tell me the technology is already available to determine offside instantly - three bird-seye cameras above the pitch, merge the three images to create a single image. Image recognition technology instantly determines whether a player is offside. All Prem grounds can accommodate birds-eye cameras. Despite all the money in football, the Prem and FA are using Windows 98 pound shop, bargain bucket tech rather than the best available.

We sit a couple of rows directly behind the Sky commentators. On Saturday there was a new screen in-between Tyler & Neville, who also each have their own one. The third screen was split into quarters and is obviously something new, to do with VAR.

Whilst seemingly everybody else in the ground was going crazy in the 93rd minute, all I was doing was staring at the new screen, watching them repeatedly viewing Laporte & Skipp attacking the corner kick.

This is a momentous shift in football, and without wishing to go over the top, could so easily be the death knell for the game as a spectator sport. For me there will never be another Aguero moment, in fact, soon there will be virtually no celebration for any such 'goal'

As mentioned in another thread, the other issue is clearly the effect on fans of goals like this being ruled out, especially as away fans end up taunting the already aggrieved home supporters. We park the other side of Mary D's and saw several skirmishes as we made our way to the motor

Without being quite at our best, City played some fantastic, beautiful football, battered one of our (alleged) title rivals, yet it was one of the least enjoyable games I have ever had the displeasure of attending

Agree that possession and control are two different things. At the moment I'm not conviced that falling to a teammate is a foul unless that 'handling' player himself creates a GSO. To gain possession or control must mean that you would not have had it - i.e. deflects into the path of the 'handling' player.
If Jesus was in on goal because the ball glanced off Laporte's arm, they might have a case. However, consider how many opposition players were in between Jesus & the goal, & what he had to do to get past them? Is this in the same phase or not?

Put it another way, it's inconclusive whether the ball touched Skipp's arm when jostling with Laporte during the deflection. If so was the ball reaching Jesus considered the same phase, or a new one?

VAR has a lot to resolve, but to be fair these anomalies wouldn't have surfaced if we didn't try it. Hopefully we won't throw the baby out with the bath water, but if anything needs a review, it's VAR.

Last edited:
Every goal scored is assessed by Var and any changes about var will be discussed in march!

So any team scoring late goals you will celebrate but expect Var to look at it.

Would that have changed anything with Rodri?
On-field ref didn't give a foul.
We don't know if VAR said play on or review.
Either way, how would the challenge have changed it? If the ref's not giving it, he's not giving it.
Given the majority of people think that was a penalty, I’m giving Oliver the benefit of the doubt, that he would award it on review.
Vars job would be to play the video. Take your point tho mate

Just watched Ref watch on sky sports with that **** Dermot Gallagher. Said the rule was brought in as a result of 3 incidents last season Boly for wolves against us, Aguero against Arsenal and Nathan Redmond.

I don't recall the Nathan Redmond one but I am assuming that it was similar to Boly and Aguero in that as a direct consequence of the handball a goal was scored.

The Law 12 display that Sky were showing stated
~ the following handball situations, even if accidental, will be a free kick
~ the ball goes into the goal after touching an attacking player's hand/arm

Quite simple really because that is exactly what happened last season with Boly, Aguero and Redmond, the ball went into the goal after touching their hand/arm.

So why are they choosing to ignore the fact that another phase of play occurred when Jesus had to play the ball in to space before shooting past 4 defenders, David Silva and the Goalie.

Then Gallagher says I don't understand where the confusion is....prick!

Then he says that he initially thought the Rodri penalty wasn't a penalty and that the ref obviously thought the same and if VAR thought differently they are not allowed to over rule the ref in subjective decisions.
It was highlighted to him that Michael Oliver wasn't even watching the incident so there must be clear and obvious error. Prick said the more he saw the incident the more he was leaning towards agreeing that it was a penalty but still refused to say that it was.

What fecking chance do decent football fans have when those implementing the rules can't even admit to getting it wrong when the evidence is staring them in the face.

I never get angry but I was furious on Saturday evening and I'm furious again.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.