Var debate 2019/20

Just watched Ref watch on sky sports with that **** Dermot Gallagher.

The Law 12 display that Sky were showing stated
~ the following handball situations, even if accidental, will be a free kick
~ the ball goes into the goal after touching an attacking player's hand/arm
And quite conveniently that misquotes that bit of law 12. It actually says “goes DIRECTLY into the goal”

And unsurprisingly the misquote supported the desperate attempts to justify what can only be seen imo as a set of bent decisions

but thats irrelevant, see the underlined but, for the goalscoring opportunity to come into play, Laporte would have had to gain control, which he obviously didn't

We know that, the entire football supporting fraternity know that, MotD know that, the Hottentots in the Kalahari know that, my dog (if I had one) would know that, and I'd even go as far as to say that Oliver and Scott know that. The issue is why they didn't apply that for Gab's goal! I imagine that the Ollie and Scotty combo will not make another appearance at any PL match for the rest of this season. Instead, they are looking for Ollie and Stan to officiate at The Etihad.

Wouldn't it be nice for the PL and the FA to reinstate that goal for the away game 'darn at The Lane'?

If, as has been widely reported, it is true that VAR has a margin of error of 13cms on off side calls because of the camera speed then it is impossible to give any one offside by less than 13 cms. Surely this change has to be brought in immediately. The simplest solution is to use 13 cms as the guideline ie you can only be offside by more than 13 cms to take account of the limit of the technology. Doing this would cut out most of the nonsense decisions.

Our forwards will be offside by 131mm minimum - every fucking time!

Having a linesman patrolling each half of the pitch on both sides, & linesmen either side of each goal was mooted, but was deemed to expensive, & too interfering.

After what I've seen this season so far, I'd have 8 assistants & a referee as well as VAR. They need all the help they can get before this blows up.
VAR has to just be for the obvious errors, that's where it is going wrong. It's trying to measure the grey areas and it cannot be done and probably never will. I don't know of any fans who were that irked by very close offside calls - you win some you lose some, and I think if Laporte had handled the ball intentionally the fans would see it and the opposition appeal.

A guy I knew who was in the army said they had a motto; KISS - Keep It Simple, Stupid! Those behind VAR have over-promised.

I still can’t get my head around a law that favours the defending team over the attacking team in the penalty area.

Defenders are permitted to accidentally handle the ball and there will be no penalty. However, if the ball grazes the arm of an attacking player accidentally, and a goal is subsequently scored, it’s a mandatory no goal.

So you have the farcical situation whereby two players are standing beside one another, with different laws being applied. That’s so wrong on so many levels.

365 pages and I still haven't seen a single pic from the reverse angle showing the ball hitting Laporte. The only thing we have seen is inconclusive pictures of both players with arms up (spuds defender more so that Laporte) and the ball changing flight from contact from one or the other. I think the VAR officials GUESSED that it was Laporte's arm which therefore isn't a factual decision.
This to me is the key. There should always be conclusive evidence. And they should be stored and available for useful metrics and to prove over time that there is no bias in play.

For a point in time decision like the new handball rule or offside I think the process should be that VAR can immediately publish to a public location a single image with proof and if not then should go with the decision that favours the attacking team.

For decisions that are more subjective then a short video of evidence should be published. This could be used for penalty decisions, violent conduct, red card decisions, etc. I don't understand why the ref did not ask for VAR on the Rodri incident. I'd have thought that the sensible thing would be for the VAR team to analyze everything in the box and raise the alarm for the ref to review. This is just bad refereeing I guess. I would just ask the authorities to log these failures also publicly.

i think VAR can work but only in the right circumstances and im sure their would be no complaints if say we scored a goal which the camera found their was a fowl prior to the goal, what i dont like is this so called panel of experts looking at this,we have no idea who or even where they are,we have no idea if they lean to one team or the other with favoritism,the more people that are involved with the decision making then the more the chances for corruption

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.