Var debate 2019/20

But again, is that VAR's remit?

As I understand it:
VAR will identify penalties that are't given. So if the ref plays on, VAR should tell him if his missed something.

The IFAB protocol has this wording:
The referee may receive assistance from the VAR only in relation to four categories of match-changing decisions/incidents. In all these situations, the VAR is only used after the referee has made a (first/original) decision (including allowing play to continue), or if a serious incident is missed/not seen by the match officials.
The referee`s original decision will not be changed unless there was a ‘clear and obvious error’ (this includes any decision made by the referee based on information from another match official e.g. offside).

and also
The categories of decision/incident which may be reviewed in the event of a potential ‘clear and obvious error’ or ‘serious missed incident’ are:

(a - goals)

b. Penalty kick/no penalty kick
  • attacking team offence in the build-up to the penalty incident (handball, foul, offside etc.)
    ball out of play prior to the incident
  • location of offence (inside or outside the penalty area)
  • penalty kick incorrectly awarded
  • penalty kick offence not penalised
http://theifab.com/laws/chapter/38/section/134/

If they're doing something different, then who knows what they're doing. I've not seen anything saying that this isn't given.

(edited twice to add text)

I personally think that if there enough complaints from fans, not just us, VAR will be binned.
I just can't see it lasting.

so we scrap VAR ... future scenarios :

Liverpool v City ... Salah goes through on goal and does a ridiculous dive - fans all appeal, Lino isn't sure, Refs view it looks like he got clattered - Ref gives a penalty .

Corner kick, ref spots a shove by a city player on a Liverpool player and awards a penalty - fans bemused as to what for.

long ball over the top, Salah miles offside, plays on and scores a goal.

++

all the above was happening week in week out in games and the accusations of corruption and anger was felt - Are you really saying if we scrap VAR everyone will just be happy and can accept decisions like the those above ? i'd be happy to go back to old system if fans really just accepted the refs decisions.

at least with VAR we have a fighting chance of implementing the correct decisions, however long it takes and it has a long way to go. I personally think they have bought in too much too soon, they should have implemented each law season by season , ie: for this season, VAR used just for offsides , next season for something else.

- one thing i agree with everyone, the spontaneous reaction when a goal goes in has been massively hampered, this is something i fully agree with. However, my honest opinion is i'd rather not be cheated/robbed by a ref/lino who has no clue on the incident and makes a wild guess.

I'm not sticking to my guns on this, i would favor scraping VAR if it's a total disaster, but i will give it a lot longer than 2 games.

Last edited:
Football law-makers IFAB deliver worrying VAR verdict following Man City vs Spurs controversy

https://www.football.london/premier-league/football-law-makers-ifab-deliver-16778334

“The VAR concept is still at the beginning. We talked to other sports and everyone told us this is a 10-year project until people really understand how it works.”

Brud insists that Premier League match officials are fully behind the introduction of the technology despite the teething problems.

“Referees report back to us that this is something they have always wanted, for various reasons,” he added.

“Every single referee has said to us, ‘For us, it’s great. We don’t have to be afraid of killing our careers.’

“They will have someone to fall back on and they love it."

Sooooo, referees are happy because they can absolve themselves of any responsibility & blame it on VAR?? WTF!

With the Var rules regarding handballs in the box yep it was the right Decision what Im more worried about is those bent Fcuks in var box not noticing the concrete penalty on Rodri?! Hopefully from now on those incidents will be given as pens.
Hopefully not,why should any other team benefit when we didn't,they are using us to try things out so maybe they will change it,they shouldn't change anything till next season now but i think the rules will get softened along the way

who is IFAB...id never heard this mentioned before weekend but their wording on the handball is slightly different:

They wrote an explanation for the reason for changing the rule which states:

if the player gains position or control following a handball and gain a major advantage e.g. score or create a goal-scoring opportunity.

this is worded ever so slightly different but does make a difference

IFAB are games rule makers .

Football law-makers IFAB deliver worrying VAR verdict following Man City vs Spurs controversy

https://www.football.london/premier-league/football-law-makers-ifab-deliver-16778334

“The VAR concept is still at the beginning. We talked to other sports and everyone told us this is a 10-year project until people really understand how it works.”

Brud insists that Premier League match officials are fully behind the introduction of the technology despite the teething problems.

“Referees report back to us that this is something they have always wanted, for various reasons,” he added.

“Every single referee has said to us, ‘For us, it’s great. We don’t have to be afraid of killing our careers.’

Sooooo, referees are happy because they can absolve themselves of any responsibility & blame it on VAR?? WTF!
Why do we want football to become like other sports ffs.

So utterly depressing.

who is IFAB...id never heard this mentioned before weekend but their wording on the handball is slightly different:

They wrote an explanation for the reason for changing the rule which states:

if the player gains position or control following a handball and gain a major advantage e.g. score or create a goal-scoring opportunity.

this is worded ever so slightly different but does make a difference

IFAB are a group of 8, four of whom are British, who decide on the new wording of laws. I think Elleray is the head of it.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Football_Association_Board

I can't find the quote you use (with google) but I'd always suggest using the FIFA law book, as it will be official, and not a web page which may take liberties with wording for clarity.

Liverpool v City ... Salah goes through on goal and does a ridiculous dive - fans all appeal, Lino isn't sure, Refs view it looks like he got clattered - Ref gives a penalty .

Corner kick, ref spots a shove by a city player on a Liverpool player and awards a penalty - fans bemused as to what for.

++

all the above was happening week in week out in games and the accusations of corruption and anger was felt - Are you really saying if we scrap VAR everyone will just be happy and can accept decisions like the one above ?

at least with VAR we have a fighting chance of implementing the correct decisions, however long it takes and it has a long way to go. I personally think they have bought in too much too soon, they should have implemented each law season by season , ie: for this season, VAR used just for offsides , next season for something else.

- one thing i agree with everyone, the spontaneous reaction when a goal goes in has been massively hampered, this is something i fully agree with. However, my honest opinion is i'd rather not be cheated/robbed by a ref/lino who has no clue on the incident and makes a wild guess.

I'm not sticking to my guns on this, i would favor scraping VAR if it's a total disaster, but i will give it a lot longer than 2 games.
That's alright for you to say,you are not a blue,the first 2 games we have been screwed over 3 times alreadyno other fucker has ,but you give it more than 2 games

++

all the above was happening week in week out in games and the accusations of corruption and anger was felt - Are you really saying if we scrap VAR everyone will just be happy and can accept decisions like the one above ?

Oliver didn't give us a nailed on penalty, never does so what has changed?

That article doesn't indicate specifically that PL refs are those giving them feedback, although that it how it's written. If they were PL refs, then they're discussing CL or international matches, and quite possibly different VAR protocols.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.