Var debate 2019/20

I think it's a good idea that Swarbrick has come out and explained what the thinking was.

I don't think the explanation helps anyone involved look good!
I thought the bit where Swarbrick said that Oliver said to the VAR bods what he saw and they agreed was quite informative. I think Swarbrick also said they looked at it on live speed once. Not giving time to disagree with the ref seems odd.

WTF you on about - watch the clip above. It's a clear and obvious error and yet VAR hasn't overruled.

Think we are at cross purposes here....I was talking about a video I posted of Salah clearly diving but is from a previous season when VAR wasn't in use....my comment was that hopefully var would stop this as in that instance he got a penalty and he shouldn't have...which hopefully would be picked up now

I thought the bit where Swarbrick said that Oliver said to the VAR bods what he saw and they agreed was quite informative. I think Swarbrick also said they looked at it on live speed once. Not giving time to disagree with the ref seems odd.

Thanks for that. I hadn't heard what Swarbrick said, just seen the comments here.

I wonder if this is a result of Saturday, and wanting to try explaining the process involved. It is quite possible that what is being run is different from what most people think it.

Looking at normal speed is reasonable for fouls, as slow motion can distort.

What do you mean by the last bit? Was VAR not given any time to give an opinion?

Jeesus you still at it !

Your middles name VAR by any chance

I was talking about a video of salah diving last season...all I was saying is that I was hopeful that at least VAR would cut that out as he got a penalty for that but if he did that this season it would be reviewed and its easy to see there is zero contact

I’m still annoyed by Oliver giving the foul against Bernie after his little bit of magic. I knew then we were going to get nothing from him.

Getting back to VAR, rather than allowing Oliver and company deflect the decision making to an anonymous person in London, why not require them to look at a replay on the sideline, as happens in other countries. At least it makes Oliver and company make the decision, and not some faceless person.

Also I think there’s merit in limiting it to a managers call, say one or two per half.

They showed the footage on SKY Monday Night Football and Oliver was not looking anywhere near the incident. He was focused on the other side of the box. He didn't see the Rodri foul so what Swarbrick said is just not true. The decison was made by inexperienced staff in the VAR room and now Oliver is covering his and Swarbrick's back. That said Oliver should have been allowed to see the replay. It is crazy. I believe he would have given a penalty.

The problem with VAR is that it's still open to human interpretation - it's just shifting the responsibility from the on field officals to some guy sat in a studio with monitors, sure the VAR guy has multiple angles and slow motion to help but the majority of decisions like penalty vs dive are subjective... In today's game (as confirmed by G Nev a few seasons ago on Sky) the modern player will go down like they've been shot for the slightest of touches - not because they are cheating (although you could argue it is cheating) but because they are trying to exagerate the contact to make sure the ref "see's it" - I have no doubt this is coached into players... So the player is expecting the contact and is already thinking about hitting the turf, if the defender pulls out of the challenge at the last minute the attacker still "swan dives" it and looks a nob. If the defender does make contact then who decides how much contact is "enough"? It depends on so many factors including the speed the attacker is moving at, where on the body the contact is and to some degree the player themselves as to how much contact is "enough" to knock them off their stride and cause them to fall...

But back to VAR... After the frustration at weekend where I walked out as soon as the VAR decisions went up on the screens (vowing to bin my seasoncard in the process) I've now had time to think about it and calm down a bit, VAR was correct and the rule is wrong - but I still don't think VAR should be checking every goal like that... I'm now in the mindset that each time should get x number of "challenges" per half and VAR should only step in for proper screw ups like booking the wrong player or off the ball stuff that the on pitch officials don't see - the stuff that would normally have gone to the FA to look at for "retrospective" cards etc.

I think a lot of it is down to who the people viewing it at Stockley favour, if they favour united over Wolves which there's probably an 80% chance they do, it's obvious they'll give the penalty

If that's the case it shows these wankers are either completely incompetent as officials or that we are going to be repeatedly shafted by this lot time and time again. Nearly every football commentator has said it was a definite penalty. I expect a nailed on VAR decision to go for us when we are 6 - 0 up somewhere to show how fair it is.
It's blatant cheating in my book. I already want rid of it.

There’s only been 5 VAR reviews in the Prem so far and we’ve been involved in 3 of the them. Statisticall
I think it's a good idea that Swarbrick has come out and explained what the thinking was.

I don't think the explanation helps anyone involved look good!

It explains why we no longer supply a ref for the Men’s World Cup.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.