Var debate 2019/20

Weird coincidence that the only three people (seemingly in the entire universe) who didn't think that was a penalty on Saturday are Michael Oliver (Match Official), Graham Scott (VAR Assistant) and Neil Swarbrick (Head of VAR). I've not seen or heard anyone else, regardless of club bias, say it wasn't nailed on.

Yep even Dermot Gallagher reluctantly conceded it was.

It’s about time referees were made more accountable ...made to give post match interviews to the press to explain decisions. They’ve got the tech to back them up now so very little excuse for getting things wrong

This is a bit of a bombshell because it shows different advice from the Premier League compared to the IFAB rules. So it is clear that the claims made by Swarbrick that the VAR officials here are following IFAB guidelines is false. It looks like the FA and the referees have misinterpreted the IFAB guidelines and are applying the rules here differently to everywhere else with regard to handball. It's a good story for the media. Can anyone on here tweet this out?

It's a huge bomb shell imo, I've asked the Premier League to clarify via Twitter and I've emailed them asking them are their rules/guidelines different to IFAB. I'll post IF they answer.

It's a huge bomb shell imo, I've asked the Premier League to clarify via Twitter and I've emailed them asking them are their rules/guidelines different to IFAB. I'll post IF they answer.
Grab a screengrab in case the FA delete their content on Twitter or their website. I suspect IFAB will be furious at being scapegoated by Swarbrick and his pals.

I agree there is scope for ambiguity. The first line on the page on the Premier League Website says:-

The International Football Association Board (IFAB) has updated the Laws of the Game for the 2019/20 season.

And at the bottom the link says:-

See: IFAB handball law changes in full

So I would suggest that the rest of the page on the Premier League website is just a summary of the new IFAB rules which has been badly written and the real rules that should be referenced are the ones on the IFAB site.

It definitely looks like that, they have completely missed out the part that says the player creating the chance must be in possession/control, nowhere on IFAB guidelines does it say accidental then creates a chance to the attacker like The Premier are tweeting out. The only part it says accidental is if the ball goes straight into the goal off the hand/arm. That is not what happened in this scenario.

Laporte should have had control/possession first, then creates a goal scoring opportunity..... that is not what happened.

As daft as it sounds, it literally looks like the Prem refs have not read the detailed guidelines OR have been given shoddy broad instructions not covering the detailed IFAB guidelines.

It’s about time referees were made more accountable ...made to give post match interviews to the press to explain decisions. They’ve got the tech to back them up now so very little excuse for getting things wrong

how do we make ref's more accountable.....i agree with the sentiment but how does that actually translate....loss of job, loss of wage, demotion to lower league games?

IF there is corruption then the paymasters wouldnt punish the guilty

The precedent has already been set in the first two weeks of league fixtures, exactly as predicted by posters on this very forum numerous times.

There was a desperate hope by the vast majority (me included) that VAR would stop the blatant cherry picking of fouls and incidents, allow more transparency and reduce “incorrect” decisions but as we have seen so far it’s just been used as a tool to mask what has been happening for years.
Agreed. And where there was just a referee making those calls to not award something it could always be said "the ref missed it". Now though with VAR there is no excuse, they cant ignore it and say they missed it, they have to give a reason, and I expect some fkin ridiculous reasons to be given this season

ECbzjtyXUAACZgb

I thought Gallagher was cringeworthy on Monday's Ref Watch. Fair play to the Sky lad for putting him under some pressure and Stephen Warnock for just looking at him in bemusement.

Haven’t read right through all this from the swarbrick comments,but can someone tell me where he was talking about the Rodri incident,ie sky,talksport so on,as from what I gather he’s been telling lies about the incident,Oliver did not see the dragging down of Rodri as he wasn’t even looking at him as the corner was being taken,which Gary Neville highlighted on Monday night football,so maybe we should be calling on this liar to resign from his position we should be all over this constantly as if we do nothing it will only continue and possibly get worse,regardless how we view the scousers you can bet if it was them on the receiving end they’d be all over the papers and social media highlighting this cnut and his lies...

You didn’t, you tried justifying the reason(s) why we’re involved in more VAR incidents than anyone else. The statistics are that we have been involved in 40% (2 in 5, thats completely ignoring the “incorrect” Rodri penalty incident). Hence the question asking if we’d been involved of 40% of ALL chances created, we haven’t, I’ve already looked. That’s the only statistic that could have backed up your theory/reasoning.

So you’re theory/reasoning is complete and utter bollocks, your tin foil hat can duly sit right back where it belongs on top of your fucking head.

The expletives weren’t aimed at you at all so you can stop with that bullshit as well, they were purely to emphasis (just like in this post). Thank you and good day sir.

Okaaaaaaaaaaay, so you admit I've not said that.. and despite my guess that we'll be involved with VAR more over the coming season due to our prowess in shots on goals is not impossible, and an outcome that's not played out yet. My theory and reasoning is at least explained, so rather than discount it (I haven't with yours - nor have I put words in your mouth I'll add). Thanks for explaining expletives were not aimed at me too, I don't know where I got that from...

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.