I'm not paranoid but, how smart are smartphones?

Your phone is the least of your worries.

We-Vibe Settles For $3.7M In 'Spying Vibrator' Data Suit

Like other vendors of smart sex toys, the makers of We-Vibe couples' toys have recently faced concern over collection of customers' intimate data via the company's connected vibrators. Following a customer lawsuit, the Canadian start-up now must also pay the price of having users feel their privacy's been invaded.

Story

Couple of weeks ago I went on a trip to Budapest to see some mates. Booked my flights - 09/08/19 to 11/08/19 - and then forwarded the confirmation e-mail to my wife, who is Canadian, a couple of days before I was due to leave.

Her iphone tried to be 'smart' by extracting the information from this e-mail and putting the flights in her calender - except of course, that her phone/account has Canadian settings.

"Why have you booked to fly out in September and coming back in November?", she asked. Cue me nearly shitting myself, thinking I'd booked the wrong dates. But, of course, it was just her phone wrongly interpreting the date format.

So I'd say not so smart after all.

Couple of weeks ago I went on a trip to Budapest to see some mates. Booked my flights - 09/08/19 to 11/08/19 - and then forwarded the confirmation e-mail to my wife, who is Canadian, a couple of days before I was due to leave.

Her iphone tried to be 'smart' by extracting the information from this e-mail and putting the flights in her calender - except of course, that her phone/account has Canadian settings.

"Why have you booked to fly out in September and coming back in November?", she asked. Cue me nearly shitting myself, thinking I'd booked the wrong dates. But, of course, it was just her phone wrongly interpreting the date format.

So I'd say not so smart after all.
A perfect example of how technology is only as clever as the idiot that programmed it. Lol!

Some other idiot will one day allow this code logic into determining something more serious and it will cause a major problem.

Try saying "OK Google" then, "how do I make you stop reacting to my OK Google voice command."

Try saying "OK Google" then, "how do I make you stop reacting to my OK Google voice command."
It took about 7 settings to get it to stop working on mine. I had to do it because it was starting to listen to the words in my music in the car and acting accordingly. "No, this isn't the way to Amarillo, turn left at the next junction".

A perfect example of how technology is only as clever as the idiot that programmed it. Lol!

Some other idiot will one day allow this code logic into determining something more serious and it will cause a major problem.

Dates/Timezones are invented by the Devil and all programmers despise them with every fibre of their being.

Dates/Timezones are invented by the Devil and all programmers despise them with every fibre of their being.

That's why we have Coordinated Universal Time (UTC), however even that can get tricky because if you store everything as UTC, it means historical activity can then appear to happen on the day before/after it actually did. Very tricky indeed.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.