Var debate 2019/20

Taken the tinfoil hat off. We're not targeted at all, we create more chances than anyone else so we may see more of our attacks reviewed. The other end (fouls/handballs) is always going to be a coin toss. People don't like change. The system will improve and get better imo. In the meantime accept it's not perfect but refs were worse than VAR. Forget goals, red card reviews will be EXTREMELY crucial to us this season.
Oh great, can't wait.

If they wanted the Laporte situation to be called handball they could have easily and clearly worded it that way in the guidelines, like they have when scoring a goal direct by your hand/arm ie it doesn't matter if accidental or not. But they didn't, they must have done this for a reason. They took the word accidental out and replaced it with a much more detailed description "player gains control/possession after it touches their hand/arm and THEN creates a goal scoring opportunity," making a it a completely different way of looking at it.

You can't get a more clear indication of the different guidelines for each situation. They are completely different when they don't have to be.

They could have simply said "you can't score direct off your arm/hand OR create a goal scoring opportunity with your arm/hand whether accidental or not" if that was their goal.
Sorry, but I've seen the version with 'OR' posted on here several times over the last few days.

This is why there needs to be official clarification & synergy between what IFAB states & the FA states.

Like I said there was one irrefutable fact in all of this.... The ball hit Laporte & deviated into his path. We can continue splitting hairs over and/or, but doing so detracts from the major points of phases, clarification & synergy of the rules from all the governing bodies.

David Elleray IFAB Technical Director responsible for writing the laws of the game David attended Oxford University where he obtain his master degree, he became a teacher and head of geography at Harrow I doubt very much that he lacks a grasp of English
Someone earlier pointed out a grammatical error in the rulings. Go figure....

If only it was that simple. If it had hit Ericsson’s hand and Gabby missed, it’s not a penalty and won’t be reviewed.

So , where is the cut off point between a defender accidentally using his arm and intentionally doing so.
Both KDB and Gundog were perplexed by that rule.
Exactly!

This is another issue raised several times, with no explanation given to clarify why it's one rule for an attacker & another for a defender.

Same scenario, different ruling. Why?

Look at it again, he throws himself at Coady before any contact, without the dive there’s no contact.

Listen to the Wolves defender,

"I thought I would get the ball, but it bounced over my leg and I caught him yes it was a penalty "

Difficult to argue against that.

So you dont think Pogba was looking for it?
Mr Swarbrick has clearly indicated that VAR will not give penalties where the player is ‘looking for it’.

All anyone wants is fairness and transparency and we most certainly have neither at the moment.

I wasn't commenting on the incident but I heard the defender say it was a definite penalty.

It might be “their grasp of English” as only one of the 7 members is English ... three others are Welsh, Scottish and from Northern Ireland. Not sure about the other 3.

The Laws of the Game including Law 12 are not well written but they clearly show the LaPorte event was not yes not handball.

Also the LotG do not include things like tactical foul or phase of play nor do they differentiate attackers from defenders under Law 12

The FA Web site is easy to access just google FA Law 12
I've read both versions mate. Everyone is pissed why accidental handball in the area only applies to attackers. It's a silly rule which is bound to piss people off.

However, using a broad brush stroke, the new ruling states a handball by the attacker. I don't think anyone is denying he didn't touch the ball with his hand, nor that this action deviated the flight of the ball to Jesus. These are facts.

This issue now become one of interpretation of their badly written rules which are not clear. Does anyone know definitively what constitutes a different phase?

We'll end up looking silly if we don't accept the clear handball & the bsll's deviation. Where we will put the authorities on the rack is by asking for clarifications on their poor wording, on what constitutes a new phase & why handball in the area doesn't apply equally to all players outside of the defending goal keeper.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.